Giselle at Book Nerd Canada's Reviews > Don't Turn Around

Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon

Jan 20, 15

bookshelves: from-publishers, own, 2012, unsolicited
Read from March 07 to 10, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Noa wakes up in a facility with a big long scar on her chest and once she realizes she's being held prisoner in the city of Boston she escapes her tormentors. Running into fellow teenager and hacker Peter, they uncover a conspiracy so great that even help from the FBI is useless.

Noa's character is fiercely sharp and intelligent, and I can honestly say I love her character. She's a survivor who took matters in her own hands and started to teach herself how to hack into systems so she can survive on her own. Noa isn't as hard and as cold as she seems, because you are privy to her vulnerable more sensitive side in bits and pieces.

Then there's Peter who grew up in an affluent neighbourhood and gas had every advantage yet he his parents ignore him and basically abandon him. I kinda hated his father a lot. The things he said just made me incredibly mad. It was a large contrast seeing these two young lives, both broken in their own way. Both trying to make sense of how wrong society has influenced them.

Don't Turn Around is written in dual perspectives and I've always loved different point of views because it adds so much more dimension to the story-line. So fast-paced, I couldn't stop reading. And there were just so many questions I needed to answer that my mind itself was racing to figure it all out. This book is for any techy geek or anyone interested in a mystery or even conspiracy. There's a little bit of hacking terminology like bricking which was a very interesting theory and most likely a realistic one. I loved this one and almost gobbled it up. I thought this was a standalone but I was happy to find out there were going to be more books after I finished reading the last page.

This one is going into my favourites pile and one I would read over again to find out if I missed any clues of foreshadowing.

Great strong characters.

So fast I was flipping through the pages.

Pretty interesting, but it could do a makeover to patch the actual plot.

Love love love!

Overall, one of my favourites of the year and can't wait for the next one!
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Turn Around.

03/07/2013 page 43
13.0% "I'm still picturing Noa as an Asian, despite her raven hair, and blue-green eyes lol"
03/07/2013 page 85
26.0% "What a horrible thing to say! I'm shocked O_O"
03/08/2013 page 131
40.0% "This book is making me want to be a hacker now.."
03/08/2013 page 146
45.0% "Ah I need answers! Lol"
03/10/2013 page 263