Whitney's Reviews > Undeniable Magnetism

Undeniable Magnetism by Bonnie Dee

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: interracial
Read in December, 2009

I was originally drawn to this work because of the interracial aspect of it. The two main characters, Simon and Jay, are black and write respectively and come from different social and economical backgrounds and upbringings. Simon being from high society in Chicago, while Jay grew up in the inner city with his Irish family.

I though Bonnie Dee did a good, realistic job of portraying their differences– race in particular– without beating like a dead horse. I didn’t find myself saying “okay, one’s black, the other’s white. I get it.” Jay’s laid back, non-sugar coating personality played well off of Simon’s straight-laced personality. The sex also wasnt long, raunchy or drawn out for a gazillion pages.

All in all, the who novel was realistic and not over the top. I could see this couple existing in real life as well as their family and friends that fill the novel and their reactions to the two being gay and an interracial couple.

I liked it a lot. It wasnt the greatest I’ve read, but I would read it again. I guess if I had to give it a rate I’d give it 3.5 out of 5.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undeniable Magnetism.