Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I just can't stay with this. It's tedious and overwritten, pretentious and full of endless descriptions. Way over-hyped. I think the plot idea had promise, but its execution needs a buzz cut. Or maybe even a vasectomy. With a weed-whacker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly H. (Maybedog) But you didn't give it a rating. I am always irritated that almost all books are rated above a three. Even that one we aren't supposed to discuss by that evil crazy bitch, is rated something like 2.5.

I love this review.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Kelly, I didn't rate it because I felt like I didn't read far enough into it to know what a fair rating would be. If I give a rating, a lot of people assume I've actually read the book. Based on what I read of this, it gets two stars. Not bad enough for one star, not good enough for three stars. It's weird to me that people consider three stars a "low" rating.

Which is the one we aren't supposed to discuss? Is my memory so short already?

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Wendy Darling dared to write a negative review about a book she didn't like and was attacked by the books author and the author's agent here on Goodreads. Because of this, Publisher's Weekly wrote an article about the ethics of this kind of thing and included lots of examples including an article in The Guardian, but most of the quotes were from Wendy.

Melissa Douthit did a royal freak out over it outing Wendy by posting her real name, her address and phone number, her work, her email address, her husband's name and twitter account, etc. It got even crazier when she went off about some grand conspiracy here on Goodreads. As a result her author account was deleted by Goodreads and her own book, The Raie'Chaelia, received so many negative reviews I think it's at a 2.5 rating now, very unusual on here.

I was really curious so I actually downloaded it and read sections of it myself and it truly was awful. I mean, you can't even pronounce the title! Unlike you, I feel that if I've given it a real try (which I really and truly did as objectively as I could) I can rate it. I felt comfortable rating it very low. Well, I mean I did except that I was a little afraid that Melissa was going to attack me but then I thought I might become really popular because of it. I never was popular in high school.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" That's awful, Kelly! I'd never heard anything about this, and it makes me very glad I've never used my last name here. Back when I used to allow private messages from strangers, I used to get occasional attacks from people with fake names that were so obviously authors of books I had slammed, and they didn't even have the spine to use their real names or make their comments publicly.
We should all give that book one star just to teach that author a lesson. What a frigging poor sport! If I wrote a novel I probably would take the age-old advice and not even look at reviews. I can't imagine ever launching an attack on an honest reviewer.

"but then I thought I might become really popular because of it. I never was popular in high school."
If only the internet had been around when you were in high school...

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Gaeta,
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I just could not bring myself to continue, and I'm glad to know I didn't miss anything.

Kristin Oh wow (re: Douthit). The fact is, anyone who writes anything or posts anything on the internet can expect some will hate it. That's just a given. You are so right about the age-old advise. Plus, I heard she gave herself reviews under pseudonyms. I suppose making a response to her reader was one thing, but posting all her personal info? What a nut! That's asking for it.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Yep, lots of nutcases out there on the web. Pretty creepy, but you'd think someone could show some class if they're using their real name as an author.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Shakespeare has ratings below 3.5 on here. Apparently she thinks her friends and herself are better than Sharespeare because hers don't deserve negative reviews even on her own genre.

message 9: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline The review made me laugh - always a good way to start the day, and the comments were fascinating.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Kelly wrote: "Shakespeare has ratings below 3.5 on here. Apparently she thinks her friends and herself are better than Sharespeare because hers don't deserve negative reviews even on her own genre."

Apparently, if you're still alive no one is allowed to criticize your less-than-mediocre self-published work.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Caroline wrote: "The review made me laugh - always a good way to start the day,"

Stand clear of that weed-whacker. :D

message 12: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Ye gods I will!

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary Hansen Jeanette- I absolutely could not agree more. This is one of the rare books that felt like drudgery reading it. I rarely give up on a book, but this one had nothing to compel me to keep reading. It was almost painfully dull.

Mandy i am over 45% in and am so bored. I fully agree with your review. Reading is for pleasure and this book is starting to feel like home work :(

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret slog, slog, slog. I totally agree. I lost interest at the 1/3 mark when Romeo and Juliet got together and nothing much happened. BTW "pushing the boundaries" is pretty much late 20th century idiom, as is asking for "a mint tea". Rather jarring and sloppy writing or editing.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Margaret, It sounds like you've got a niche in the editing world. I wouldn't have even caught those errors, had I read far enough to find them.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Margaret wrote: "slog, slog, slog. I totally agree. I lost interest at the 1/3 mark when Romeo and Juliet got together and nothing much happened. BTW "pushing the boundaries" is pretty much late 20th century idiom,..."
Liquid takes the shape of its container. People used to ask, therefore, for a cup of tea, a pot of tea, etc. It wasn't until the last 30 years or so that people started asking for "a coffee" or "a tea" rather than its more customary usage. This probably has something to do with the coffee shop's size issue. It's easier to say "I'll have a medium coffee" than "I'll have a medium cup of coffee" and people tend to take the easier path. However, it's still pretty jarring to hear late-20th c idiom in a book dated 1898 or 1901.
I was startled to hear of all the hoo-haw that surrounded the review of this book. I am going to print this stream out...the book club I belong to will love it. We always rate our books and I expect this will be a love-it/hate-it split--lots of 2's and 7's.

Miranda Richardson Hahaha, I think I've been desensitised to pretentiousness after studying literary fiction for so long xD If you want to read something that will REALLY annoy you, read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by Joyce. I can't even begin to tell you how bad it is. It made me loathe Joyce-- not just his writing-- JOYCE.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Miranda wrote: "Hahaha, I think I've been desensitised to pretentiousness after studying literary fiction for so long xD If you want to read something that will REALLY annoy you, read A Portrait of the Artist as a..."
Just now finding this comment. I have tried to read that book, and hated it as much as you did. Pretentious writing is bad enough, but writing pretentiously while saying nothing at all is unforgivable. Blech.

Paddyokie Agreed. Terrible book. I want the time I spent reading this drivel back.