Megan's Reviews > Still Life With Chickens: Starting Over in a House by the Sea

Still Life With Chickens by Catherine Goldhammer

Oct 13, 08

Read in October, 2008

The author had me at: "This is the story of my foray into the salvation of one sorry house and garden and one slightly tattered soul."

That sounded so familiar, and the writing was so poetic and at the same time so down to earth that I knew I was going to like this book. And it didn't disappoint.

This is a funny, poignant, clever and quick read that just about anyone would enjoy. But I especially recommend it for women who are going through any kind of a major life transition and are looking for that proverbial rope to pull them forward. This book is a great reminder that humans are more resilient than we sometimes give ourselves credit for, and that the people and causes that can inspire us to keep going are often right under our noses.

And, for anyone who has ever adopted a house, or a pet -- or both -- to get through one of those major life transitions, this book will strike many familiar chords.

"I had thought I was renovating a house. I didn't know that in the process I would also rebuild my life."

Make a cup of tea and spend an afternoon with this little book. You'll be laughing, crying and saying "amen sister," all the way to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life With Chickens.