Kayla Eklund's Reviews > Drain You

Drain You by M. Beth Bloom

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: arc, vampires, reviews-completed, to-trade
Read from July 22 to 23, 2012

Note: On the blog, this review got 3.5 stars.

Drain You is very hard for me to rate. I loved the story line. It held my attention and was a lot of fun to read. However, it had quite a few flaws. The biggest flaw for me was the irresponsible parenting. Seriously, who tells their teenager, "Be back whenever, I don't care"? When Libby (the main character's best friend) is gone for days at a time with her boyfriend, her mother doesn't care at all or do anything to stop the behavior. Most of the parents in the book, like the Sheets' parents, are gone for long periods of time. The second thing that bothered me about the book was that the 90's references seemed cliche. It almost seemed the author would randomly throw one or two in, then would shortly after forget she was writing in the 90's time period. I understand that people used cool, dude and like quite a bit in the 90's but I don't think they used it that much. I don't want to hear the word cool again for quite a long time. Other than those few things I liked the book. I finished it in just a few hours because I couldn't put it down. I liked most of the characters aside from Libby. I could not stand her. I thought she was a whiny, ungrateful person. She was also a horrible friend. I liked James, but he made me mad because of the whole 'I'm going to sleep with you then leave and not tell you where I'm going or when I'll be back' thing. OH! This brings up my other thing I had against this book. I'm not a big fan of sex in young adult books, and although the scenes weren't overly descriptive, they were still there. My favorite character was Whit. I liked his attitude. I also like that he kept Quinn happy no matter what she was going through. I liked Drain You, but I didn't love it. I reccomend it to fans of paranormal romance and for older YA (16+).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drain You.

07/22/2012 page 1
0.0% "I've heard a lot of bad things about this one, but I'm still very excited to read it." 2 comments
07/23/2012 page 299
75.0% "Ugh, the irresponsible parenting in this book is driving me crazy. Other than that and a few other minor flaws, I'm liking it so far."