Geoff's Reviews > The Absolutist

The Absolutist by John Boyne

Aug 26, 12

Read from June 29 to July 02, 2012

This is just a snip-it of my review. Click here to see the full review.

WHOA…for once, it is fairly simple to describe my feelings about a novel I knew nothing about going in: I fell in love. The overall story is incredibly gut-wrenching and heartbreaking by the ending, but you have to fall in love with it and the characters (even those you want to hate) because of the story and Boyne’s writing. I have never read Boyne, but have seen The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

The Absolutist is a love story, whether it’s unrequited love I haven’t decided. If you have read the book see Part 3 and then leave a comment or shoot me an email. I really want to know what others think on that point!

This is every man’s story from World War I, the atrocities and heinous acts they witnessed (and even committed), but perhaps most importantly, this is the story of those who were lost before the war started, those classified as deviants, misfits, even criminals, not for some heinous act but because of who they loved. Tristan and Will’s story is their story (and I will be cliché and say, one that continues today).

Not only does Boyne write characters you love (and love to hate) he writes scenes which pull at the essence of your humanity. I can’t even provide examples because I think you should read this novel. From the descriptions of the war-torn bodies to the tics of the survivors and myriad conversations between characters, Boyne writes in such a way that you’re not reading, but living and feeling the story and the action as it happens.

I thoroughly enjoyed the structure of the novel and can only imagine reading a finished copy will make it better. (There were some formatting issues, but as this is a Net Galley, I wasn’t too bothered and expected worse.) Through the flashbacks and the triggers I felt as if I was in Tristan’s mind. Marian was extremely well written and I viewed her as the person of the future, how people would be at least until WWII came around.

Click here to continue reading on my blog The Oddness of Moving Things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absolutist.