Krky7's Reviews > The Anubis Gates

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

M_50x66
Jun 20, 12

Read in June, 2012

I didn't know much about this book when my friends recommended it to me. I knew it involved time-travel, so I assumed that it will be firmly placed within a science-fiction genre. Well, I was definitely in for one of the most pleasant book-related surprises of my life. First and foremost, I'm a fantasy freak, and when I read the first several pages, I was blown away. Not often do you see this type of take on the tried and true time-travel concept. Powers is brave, straightforward and unstoppable here. He doesn't waste much time explaining how things work, he's too busy taking us along for an amazing ride.

This book hails from a time where not everything had to be a megalomaniacal, drawn out trilogy - Powers packed a mind-boggling amount of action and content in these 450 pages. To say that there's never a dull moment here would be a major understatement.

"The Anubis Gates" was one of those books that you want to finish as soon as possible, because the experience is so intense and the situations so grand that you just don't want to stretch it out. You need to know how will all these loose threads connect right away. And at the same time, you don't want the book to end. You can't help but root for our protagonist and you feel genuine hate towards the meddling sorcerers.

This book has it all. Time-hopping, high adventure, spells and sorcery, thieves and beggars, mad clowns, Egyptian warlords, close calls and narrow escapes. There's always a new twist around the corner. Fantasy, steampunk, noir, mystery, everything is turned on its head in this extraordinary book, and the result is an amazing read you won't soon forget.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anubis Gates.