Lisa B.'s Reviews > City of Women

City of Women by David R. Gillham

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books, favorites
Read in July, 2012

I certainly was intrigued when I read the overview for this book. Little did I know the story would become an obsession. This was one of those book that I wanted to constantly be reading but did not want it to end.

Sigrid has a simple, albeit boring, life. She is a German wife who lives with her very mean mother-in-law. She has an affair and falls in love with a secretive Jewish man named Egon Weiss. She meets a young girl named Ericha, who is involved with helping Jews escape the horrors of 1943 Germany. Ericha goads Sigrid into helping with escapees, called u-boats because they are “those in hiding. ‘submarines’, because they are submerged and must run silently to avoid detection and destruction.” One family consists of a woman and her two daughters. Egon has told Sigrid that he has a wife and two daughters that he believes are dead. Could this be them?

What should she do? Who can she ask for help, when today’s friend could be tomorrow’s enemy. One misstep, one wrong word, one wrong look and the whole process could come tumbling down.

I often put this book down with my stomach in knots from the suspense. There were several twists and I often gasped when someone who seemed trustworthy turned out to be not so.

I am so often amazed at the art of storytelling. This book is a perfect example of why. A page turner from the very beginning. I hope Mr. Gillham has more tales to weave, as I would definitely be interested in reading any other books that he may write.

Thank you so much to Penguin Group (USA) and Netgalley for allowing me to read this ARC for an unbiased review.

Publish date: August 7, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Women.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberli (new) - added it

Kimberli Galvez I can't wait to read this! thank you for reviewing it for us.

Lisa B. I hope you enjoy it.

Heather Lisa-do you think she had the affair because her husband was off to war-or do you think she would have had it anyway?

Lisa B. Wow - good question! Hmmmm - my initial thought is that she had it because her husband was gone.

What do you think?

message 5: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie May I recommend "The Baker's Daughter" if this subject matter is of interest to you all..I thought it was a great story and well written.

Heather Lisa B. wrote: "Wow - good question! Hmmmm - my initial thought is that she had it because her husband was gone.

What do you think?"

At the beginning of the book I thought it was due to loneliness, needing something exciting in her life, but in the last part of the book I started to feel like she woudl have had the affair anyways. I was curious what other people thought.

Lisa B. Jackie wrote: "May I recommend "The Baker's Daughter" if this subject matter is of interest to you all..I thought it was a great story and well written." Ohhh - this looks good!

Lisa B. Heather wrote: "Lisa B. wrote: "Wow - good question! Hmmmm - my initial thought is that she had it because her husband was gone.

What do you think?"

At the beginning of the book I thought it was due to lonelin..."
Very interesting. I'm glad you asked the question.

message 9: by Diana S (new) - added it

Diana S Thanks for your review! I definitely recommending this book to two book clubs(F2F)that I belong too. If you don't mind, I would love to read your review to them. :)

Lisa B. Diana S wrote: "Thanks for your review! I definitely recommending this book to two book clubs(F2F)that I belong too. If you don't mind, I would love to read your review to them. :)"

Oh my, what a compliment Diana. You certainly may read my review. Thanks!