Jennifer Whitehead's Reviews > Temptation

Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins

Jun 20, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Thank you NetGalley for this ARC!

First of all, I have to admit that I'm not usually a fan of the whole "Amish boy meets normal girl" genre. It seems overly done, when it comes to the romantic book world.

But...

I found that this book grabbed me from the beginning. I read it rather quickly and I will read the follow-up once it is released.

Here are some things that I didn't like about the book:
1. I didn't like that Noah and Rose seemed to fall in love so quickly. Admiration, I get. Even some lust, I get. But this "I'll die for you," intense LOVE with a capital L, I just don't get. It happened too quickly. It was the beginning of summer, then two weeks later it seemed like they were pledging their troth and swearing to get married.
2. I also would've liked a little more attention paid to the setting. I think Hopkins had such an incredible opportunity to use the surroundings to lend movement to the story. I think the setting could have enhanced the depth of their relationship. What a missed opportunity!
3. Finally, I really wish that the "evil stepmother" issue wouldn't have been resolved so quickly. Hopkins had a chance to extend the desperation of Rose to the next book (and perhaps she will revisit this), but Tina and Rose need to maintain that hostility a little longer, in my opinion.

Here is what I liked about this book:
1. I find that, even though I just complained about the speed of the relationship between Noah and Rose, it is probably very accurate of their age group. Consider any 15/16 year old girl desperately in love with her 18 year old boyfriend. Of course she thinks in terms of forever! I would have! "Yes, I'll marry you" seems to be the only response for the forbidden boy from a completely different culture. So, I suppose the accuracy of the character does make sense when considering the extremity of youth.
2. Another thing I liked about the book was the imperfection of the characters. Noah is hopelessly naive, especially when confronted with a girl from the outside world. He expects his woman to follow all the rules and comply, without even considering that perhaps he could continue schooling and survive in mainstream society. And Rose is simply an over-emotional spoiled brat. She has some major issues to work through with the death of her mother and falling in love seems to be a distraction from her problems. Neither of them is perfect - but isn't that what makes love real!?

I enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temptation.