Christopher Everest's Reviews > Worst Case

Worst Case by James Patterson

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: crime-detective-fiction
Read from June 20 to 22, 2012

Number 3 in the series. Raced through No. 2. Is that a measure of a writer's skill ?
Mr Bennett continues to thrive. His ten children providing him with a reason to do his job and with a safety valve for when his job overpowers him. An interesting concept.
The main antagonist in this book, Francis X. Mooney seems to be trying to reform the world. His depiction as a murderer, in my opinion, seems to bring together many disparate ideas. His dissatisfaction with the modern world, especially with regard to inequality and justice. It is the same problem John Milton faced in Paradise Lost with the figure of Satan - that is, he was far more exciting and interesting than the forces of Go[o]d. The book is a critique of liberalism in some ways, and an indictment of materialism. It poses questions about wealth and inheritance, and the capacity an individual has to do good. The book touches on ecology and environmentalism, and on violence and cruelty. Like the villain in the previous book "The Teacher", Mooney chooses an extreme form of retribution and Bennett, doing his job, has to counter those assertions. I don't think he offers an alternative strategy for living life beyond work and family and perhaps that is the message. Life goes on. Life, Post-Maeve, is a question of getting up every day and doing your job, your best. The instructions you follow may be from Man or God or Machine but ultimately the responsibility lies with the individual.
Michael and MC sitting by a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. That is another answer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worst Case.