Laura Hartley's Reviews > Moa

Moa by Tricia Stewart Shiu

Jul 15, 12

Read from June 20 to July 06, 2012

I wasn't really sure what to make of Moa and it took me a while to get into it. This isn't like any other sort of fiction I've ever read before (though that's not necessarily a bad thing) and it took me a while to grasp the real concept of this novel and what it was really about. Despite this difficulty, I still found this book incredibly interesting because of the unique plot and I genuinely felt like I was learning something as I read this.

For a while now I've been looking out for other paranormal novels that don't feature vampires and werewolves and Moa has introduced me to a whole new world of spirits and the world beyond. I got a strong sense of culture from this book, and although I've never been to Hawaii, I'm assuming this is what was trying to be captured. I've never read any book that was set in such an exotic and unfamiliar place to me so it was exciting to read something with a whole new setting. I liked that the novel was sometimes narrated by Moa herself, because it was fascinating to learn about things 'beyond' this world; however, at times I did find this to be a little confusing.

If you're going to read Moa, you definitely have to be concentrating and willing to devote a good few hours to it so that you can be fully absorbed in it. This has to be one of the most mysterious books that I've ever read and I spent a lot of the first section wandering what on earth was going on and what the general setting was. I mean this in a positive way as it peaked my curiosity and left me wanting to find out more. Give this book a chance and it will be worth your while! The ending is the best bit of the book as it is completely unexpected and leaves room for many more novels to follow :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moa.