Cheryl's Reviews > The Trust

The Trust by Shira Anthony

6922028
Jun 20, 2012

bookshelves: cops-firemen-fbi-ish, mystery-thrillers, sci-fi, mm-romance
Read on June 24, 2012

I think I would call this a 4.5 star book. The first half of it, I wasn't sure at all what I was reading or where it was going or who I was rooting for but by the end, the authors deliver. It's like nothing I've read in the M/M genre so far... but then I saw from other reviewers, it started out as Bleach fanfic so maybe that is why. I don't know what Bleach is - but from a Google search - it's some part of the manga genre. And, for me, manga is a totally foreign concept - literally. I was better off thinking of this book as not being any kind of fanfic. (Not that I mind fanfic that makes it mainstream. I actually think that's a pretty cool phenomenon and really not that different from Bridgette's Jones Diary mimicking Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.)

Anyway - The Trust is worth the read. I'm going to try to be vague here to avoid spoilers. It's complicated as hell. I was satisfied with the ending as a hopeless romantic, and I was sure that even at 75% of the way through the book that I wouldn't be. Points that kept this from being a 5 are -- I think that the authors dragged out the final romantic resolution too much. There was a lot going on in this book because of the complicated plot and the relationship building between the main characters suffered for that. There was also very little sex... until the last 20% of the book, it wasn't really a romance at all. That point was even further emphasized by the delayed resolution at the end of the book in the core relationship -- it made it seem like their love relationship was secondary to the rest of everything that was going on. I got my happy ending but I felt like it was tossed together as an afterthought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trust.

Anders I actually checked out Bleach after reading this - it's nothing like this story (although it's pretty interesting).

ElaineY "complicated as hell" is an apt description. I like complex plots but the writers could have made this one more readable.