Melissa's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Dec 27, 12

bookshelves: arc, ya
Read from June 20 to 21, 2012

This is the first book that I've read in a LONG time that I had a hard time putting down. It was that good!

The story is told in the alternating viewpoints of Echo and Noah. On the outside, these two seem very different, but on the inside, they are searching for some kind of "normal" life. Their relationship builds slowly and realistically; each has trust issues and demons that they are trying to control. Echo and Noah have been through a lot of hard times in their lives, and with Mrs. Collins, the social worker, they are trying to rebuild and get back on track.

These two main characters, and the supporting characters, are beautifully written. The author does an amazing job of character development and uses the alternating narrators to build the story and not rehash the events over and over again.

This book has many references to drugs and sex, and the language at times is foul. However, since the author was trying to realistically portray Noah's lifestyle and lack of proper adult supervision, these references and foul language were in line with how someone in Noah's position would act and speak. Because of this, I probably wouldn't recommend this book to younger teens. However, the story is beautifully written. I felt Noah's heartbreak over losing his parents and watching his brothers from a distance, and I sympathized with Echo's embarrassment over her scars and what she has gone through to try to remember what happened to her.

Awesome first novel for Katie McGarry! Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC ♥
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

06/21/2012 page 234