Amanda's Reviews > The Dive From Clausen's Pier

The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Jul 25, 07

Read in July, 2007

Way back in the day, I used to read these terrible teen dramas by Lurlene McDaniel. Someone in the book either had cancer, was dying, or was just killed and I sobbed from the beginning of the book to the end. So I stopped reading those books.

The Dive From Clausen's Pier was a grown-up Lurlene McDaniel' novelette. Well written? Yes. Engaging characters? Yes. An enjoyable read? Not quite. I could decide if I sympathized with the main character or hated her. The pivotal event happens so early in the book (i.e. page 5 or so) that I had no connection to the characters before I saw them "change" due to grave circumstances. One character is purposefully enigmatic, but as hard as it is for the heroine to get to know Kilroy, it is even harder for the reader to connect - or care.

Somehow, I liked this book. It is smoothly written and it was nice to see the heroine take on New York City with wide, naive Midwestern eyes. But while I sympathized with Carrie Bell for the situations she found herself in, it did not seem like her actions were legitimate reactions to the events of her life.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dive From Clausen's Pier.

Kate You've said it EXACTLY as I would've.