Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Up In Smoke

Up In Smoke by Katie MacAlister

Oct 13, 08

bookshelves: 2008-reads
Read in October, 2008

If someone asked me why I like Katie MacAlister's 'Aisling Grey/Dragon' series, it would be hard to come up with just one reason. There's hot dragon sex, there's comedy, humor and silliness, there's a demon masquerading as a Newfoundland dog, there's mystery and treachery, and did I mention the hot dragon sex?

Mayling is a doppelganger. She was created by a pact between her 'sister' the naiad Cyrene and the Demon Lord Magoth. Cyrene sacrificed her common sense (and boy does she give airhead a new meaning) and Magoth gets a bound servant who can access the 'between'. To further confuse things, Mayling is apparently the mate of Gabriel, the wyvern of the Silver Dragons. Confusing because the silver dragons were cursed to be without real human mates. But apparently since Mayling isn't a 'real' human, the curse is circumvented! Which should be good except now Magoth is insisting that Mayling become his consort!! There's alot more goings-on that you'll just have to read about yourself.

If sexy paranormals with all the above ingredients sound good to you...definitely get yourself started on this rollicking series by Katie MacAlister.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up In Smoke.

10/13/2008 page 97

message 1: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Dammit I'm so behind! Book 1 has been sitting in TBR since it came out and I still haven't read it! Is this new series as good (or better) than the Guardian series? I didn't like the last Guardian book but the others were good --god I loved Drake!!! :p

Julie (jjmachshev) Aisling and Drake are secondary characters in these. I had a hard time focusing on characters other than those two at first, but I like these 'almost' as much...
J

Crystal East, I haven't read book 2 in this series yet, but book 1 is definitely NOT as good as the Guardian series. But that's to be expected because really, how can you top Drake Vireo????
With that being said, it's still a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I have book 2 on my TBR pile and I'll probably get to it some time this week.

message 4: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Crystal, I know, how can you top Drake! God was he ever "hot" (lol!) How did you find the romance part in the Silver Dragons? In the last Aisling book I thought it really strayed away from the romance so I'm hoping that romance isn't a secondary story in this new series.

I'll give book one a try before buying book 2.