Rachel Lynn Sterling's Reviews > Amaranth

Amaranth by Rachael Wade

Jun 21, 2012

liked it
Read from June 20 to 21, 2012

Rachael Wade captured me from the start with the wonderful dialog and chemistry of the two main characters of this book, Gavin & Camille. After the first chapter, I was very excited to experience the development of their relationship. I was disappointed to find out they didn’t have any other contact or, it seemed, not even any other thoughts of each other for two years after their first meeting. Then, when they run into each other again and make a date, we are only allowed a short glimpse of their blooming romance before the story jumps to a week later and apparently they are a full-fledged item. I really felt like I missed out on something very special by not being allowed to feel the growth of their relationship. I know I would have certainly felt a better connection to them and been more motivated to root them on had I been given more insight to the development of their bond. There were also a few other parts that I feel the author rushed me through and that left me with a “now how the heck did that happen” kind of feeling.

Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, overall, it was an easy, enjoyable read with a good storyline. I’ve read a lot of vamp romances and this one certainly put a fresh spin on a worn out subject. It is the first of a trilogy, so it does end with somewhat of a cliffhanger. This one was a freebie for me and I debated on whether to purchase the second book "The Gates" simply because I didn’t feel as drawn into the characters’ lives as I thought I should be to invest much in a series (I’m a little bit of a tight-wad). But…I’m too OCD to start something and not finish it, so I purchased the second book and I have to say I think I’m enjoying it more than the first. I’m only a little ways in, but so far so good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amaranth.