badfae's Reviews > Harriet the Spy

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Oct 16, 2008

bookshelves: general-fiction, young-adult-and-children
Read in October, 2008

I received this book as a birthday gift on either my sixth or seventh birthday (I think it was my seventh. I still remember the name of the friend who gave it to me, too). I loved it then, and I still do now. Harriet is a quirky kid, a bit out-of-step with her peers, and that was something I could always relate to (not to mention my childhood ambition to be a writer!).

I used to read it at least once a year, growing up, even after I was "too old" for it (you're never too old for Harriet), but had to throw my old copy away quite some time ago, because it was in pieces. Finally, I got around to replacing it earlier this week; next on my list is making my husband read it :-P

One great thing about reading a childhood favorite over and over again is that, as you mature, you appreciate the book differently. I always knew I liked Fitzhugh's style, but I hadn't realized until this reading what it was I so enjoyed. Much like Judy Blume, this writer didn't talk down to her readers, and she didn't present a perfect, virtuous heroine. Harriet is believable.

Harriet The Spy has a sort of dryly witty delivery that I've always appreciated, and it's clear Fitzhugh had a lot of affection for her characters. It's no wonder this became such a classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harriet the Spy.

03/04 marked as: read