Daniel's Reviews > The Maze of Bones

The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan

Oct 17, 08

bookshelves: young-adult, mystery
Read in October, 2008

In typical YA fashion, this book tends to teach as much as it entertains, and it does a fair amount of both. Nothing wrong with that.

I did, though, find that the book bogged down a bit here and there. Trying to do too much perhaps? Too many people to keep track of and include in this 'race' for the clues?

The good-hearted, down-trodden brother and sister team (each with unique skills needed to find and solve the clues) quickly become the team to beat. They are chased, attacked, and assisted by other members of their extended family -- each trying to get to the clues as well.

But take note -- the clues (plural) I am referring to are mini SUB clues to the main clue. And this book only covers one clue. That's right, we can already see the game plan on Scholastic's part here! A guaranteed 39-40 book series! This particular hard-cover book comes complete with a set of playing-card-type clues and a computer log-in code so that the reader can try to discover clues on-line and win prizes. Typical gimmicking from Scholastic and it may work ... or readers may get bored waiting for each new book.

We'll see how it develops.

I was entertained enough by the reading to try the next book in the series, but I do rebel against a planned series like this ... trying to sell a series of books in advance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze of Bones.