Lexie's Reviews > Daughter of the Forest

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

Jun 02, 2016

bookshelves: books-owned-read, own-multiple-editions, audiobook
Read from May 05 to July 22, 2015

Yeah no, my rating has not changed. Hell I'd give it more stars if possible. This is the book that a decade and more ago showed me how a book is different from a novel. Marillier built not only a novel that stands well on its own but planted the seeds of a family saga which only recently concluded.

Sorcha is the kind of character who, if you were to write her traits as plain facts on paper, sounds like a Mary Sue. She is strong willed and well versed in the exact right skills to help her on her journey. She is clever and plucky and never gives up. Well loved by everyone (save the Lady Oonagh, but she hated everyone) and sheltered.

She is so much more however. She's strong willed and clever because she grew up loved and cherished. She has the necessary skills because she learned from a young age to show reverence towards those who were her servants. She never gave up because that same love drove her to give them the life they were always ready to sacrifice for her.

This is also one of the few times that "rape" is used effectively insofar as character growth was concerned. Marillier is at pains to make it clear that though Sevenwaters is, essentially, a peaceful utopia-esque place making such a general assumption is dangerous. Sevenwaters was safe, but that didn't mean everyone who dwelled within its borders or were their neighbors were.

Wad there another way to drive home Sorcha's ordeal? Maybe. But it wasn't done superficially.

Anyhow everyone should read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Forest.

02/26 marked as: books-owned
02/26 marked as: books-owned-read
02/01 marked as: read
03/06 marked as: books-owned-read
05/04 marked as: currently-reading
05/04 page 66
12.0% "my exact words upon picking this up was "Hold me book I need comforting". Marillier's writing is so gorgeous, even in this a book over a decade old and the first I know of being domestically released."
07/20 page 162
29.0% "You may think it's odd it took me so long to get over 40pages, but I remember vividly what occurs in those 40pages even though it's been over a decade. it's not something I could go into without first preparing myself. Also Frak Game of Thrones & Outlander this series deserves a tv show."
07/21 marked as: read