Susan Perez's Reviews > Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Sydney Logan

F_50x66
Aug 31, 12

Read on August 31, 2012 — I own a copy

I was expecting an amazing love story, and we did get just that, but also so much more.
Sydney Logan has delivered not just a love story between two amazing people dealing with their own issues, but also delivers an eye opening look at how intolerance can be found anywhere at anytime.

Sarah grew up in Sycamore Falls but left to the city for college has been exposed to more of life than many others that have remained in the sheltered town. Lucas moved to Sycamore Falls from New York City for his fresh start. Their outside experiences make them both more apt to be tolerant of diversity.

Sarah is a very empathetic teacher and immediately develops a rapport with the bright friendly intelligent and popular high school quarterback. Matt is 18 and is tired of projecting what everyone wants him to be, he's tired of pretending. When Matt find himself bullied not just from fellow classmates but also the school administrators and community, Lucas and Sarah must find a way to help him and try to open the hearts and minds of their small town.

The story sucked me in from the explosive prologue right to the last sentence of the epilogue. As a mother of a teenager, Lessons Learned is one I would highly recommend to high school English classes as a way to bridge the gap between belief in what an individual believes is right (personal opinions) and tolerance of others and their beliefs or lifestyles. Respect for all people as fellow human beings and respect for their rights to live as they choose. A very touching and compelling story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons Learned.

08/31/2012 page 11
5.0% "'I wasn't interested in dating- even if he did have a chiseled chin and pretty blue eyes-but dinner in exchange for labor seemed like a sweet arrangement to me.'

Sarah meets Lucas :)"
08/31/2012 page 11

Sarah meets Lucas :)" 1 comment
08/31/2012 page 22
9.0% ""Those dimples were one of the first things I noticed about you."
Sigh, Lucas... Just loving him already."
08/31/2012 page 80
34.0% "Parking...LOL. Loving Sarah and Lucas's dynamic."
08/31/2012 page 105
45.0% "aw, he's disappointed that she didn't wear a bikini."
08/31/2012 page 156
66.0% "Matt- it's heart-wrenching, will not be able to put this down til it's finished"
08/31/2012 page 182
77.0% "There is a certain character that I am so ready to strangle on Sarah and Lucas's behalf."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Logan Thank you!