Jessica (Books: A true story)'s Reviews > Everbound

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

The tone that I adored from the first book is back. The opening line, which I loved, just sets the tone so well.

“It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.” – Joseph Campbell

Nikki is going on an adventure to get something back that she lost in the underworld called the Everneath. It took me a minute to get reoriented in the world again, but I slipped back in easily after a few pages even without rereading the first book. I positively flew through this book in one sitting. The journey through the underworld and the task she wanted to complete felt impossible the whole time and kept me just glued to the pages. The layers of the underworld that she travels through were different in a chilling and alien way. This is one of those books where the foreshadowing was spot on. I thought I was all smart and I knew everything that was going to happen. Then the bombshell of an ending hits and I’m still in awe. Brodi even put the clues in there of what was going to happen at the end and I missed them all. It gives me chills just thinking about it. I feel like she deserves a round of applause for that ending.

Cole is a sexy, modern, teen version of Hades. He’s likeable yet sneaky and dark and I can’t ever totally trust him. My only complaint about the whole book was a few things that were taken too literally. The “kicking” element of the story was just a little to literal and weird for me.

Overall, don’t miss this stunning retelling of Persephone and Hades.

This book is also reviewed on my blog Books: A true story

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everbound.

12/10/2012 page 27
7.0% "I love the tone of this book!" 2 comments
12/12/2012 page 384
100.0% "Finished in one sitting. Could not put it down!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Like you I was shocked by the ending - I didn't see it coming AT ALL. What clues are your referring to? I must have missed them all.

Jessica (Books: A true story) This totally spoils the ending so I'm going to put it in a spoiler tag. (view spoiler)