Allison Borst's Reviews > Cyrano de Bergerac

F 50x66
Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: facebooked
Read from December 17 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

NOTE: I read the version translated by Brian Hooker in the 1920s.

Me: my version is by brian hooker
with a forward by SOME DUDE named Clayton Hamilton
who is SO FUCKING PRETENTIOUS i cannot EVEN
he is SUCH A POMPOUS ASS
but I LOVE IT
he starts out all
"i asked my friend [actor] to put on Cyrano"
"which was going to cost fucktons of money"
"but gasp imagine all these people who are under thirty who have NEVER SEEN IT??? because it was performed in 1890-mumble and it is now 1920!"
"and my friend was like OH FINE"
"but i went around reading these english translations"
Erica: original was in french? I should get it in french
me: "because of course if it is to make money in NYC, it should be performed in English"
"of course, I only ever read or saw it in French because I am a pretentious bilingual fuck"
"anyway, all these english versions made me want to cry"
"so I went to my poet friend, Brian Hooker"
"and i was like 'clearly you must DROP EVERYTHING and go to the country for some months and translate this JUST FOR ME' because of course i have the wealth to command this sort of behavior"
"let me now detour, into my personal history with this play"
Erica: ahahahhaha
win
me: "which is to say, way back in 1890mumble, I heard that there was an epic theatre thing happening in Paris and I was ALL AFLUTTER because i couldn't go"
"so i ordered a copy of the script and i waited AND WAITED AND WAITED, SO PATIENTLY, HOW I WAITED"
"I THINK PROBABLY THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE PRINT RUN, THIS IS HOW PATIENT I WAS"
"but finally it came"
"and like some kind of 1900 hipster jackass I took my SHINY NEW script to this divey manhattan french bar where poor french expats hang"
"and i mean, i wanted to BE COOL, DADDYO so I made sure that the script was poking out of my pocket and flaunted that shit around"
Erica: I love your summaries of things
btw
me: aahaha HE IS SO GENIUS I CANNOT GET OVER IT
"anyway, once i was in the divey french place i was like GUYS GUYS THIS FRENCH PLAY"
"I LIKE IT BEFORE IT IS COOL HERE"
LET ME READ IT FOR YOU
"they all demanded that i read it aloud"
"in the original french"
Erica: ahahahahahaha
me: "let me now quote that french for you"
"even though the fact that you are reading an english translation probably means you don't speak french but fuck it, i speak french and I can't just let that slide"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cyrano de Bergerac.

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica I REMEMBER THIS CONVERSATION with great fondness. Laughed out loud reading it (again). :)