Lisa Wolf's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Jan 17, 15

bookshelves: couldn-t-put-it-down, espionage, historical-fiction, will-make-you-cry, young-adult
Read from June 20, 2012 to January 17, 2015

Updated 1/17/2015: Just finished my audiobook listen, and was blown away all over again by the impact of this story. The audio narration is excellent - highly recommended

From 6/23/2012 (1st read): I think I need more time to digest before writing a proper review. Code Name Verity is one of those books that makes me wonder why certain novels get marketed as young adult fiction. In my mind, and on my bookshelves, it just goes on the shelf marked Incredibly Well-Written and Moving Fiction. So there! It will be in very good company, right next to The Book Thief and The Fault In Our Stars, two other so-called YA novels that anyone with any sense ought to read immediately.

Code Name Verity is breathtaking, suspenseful, emotional, and even funny at times. I don't want to give anything away, but here are the bare bones: This is the story of two young women who manage to find a friendship that elevates them above the harshness of life in wartime. Set in England and France during WWII, Code Name Verity... well, damnit, just read the book! You're better off starting with a clean slate and not knowing anything before you read it.

Suffice it to say, I was blown away and couldn't put it down. I took the book out of the library after reading a glowing review, but I think I'll have to quickly purchase my own copy so I can re-read it at leisure.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Elizabeth Wein
“It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.”
Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity

06/22 "If I had no other obligations in my life, I would read this book cover to cover without stopping, except perhaps to get more coffee. Amazing." 1 comment
01/03 marked as: currently-reading
01/03 "1/3/2015: Rereading via audio." 1 comment
50.0% "Just as heartbreaking the 2nd time around. The narration on the audiobook is brilliant."
01/17 marked as: read

message 1: by Shan (new) - added it

Shan WWII is probably one of my favourite periods to read about. I've got this on my Kindle, can't wait to read it! Great review.

Lisa Wolf Shan wrote: "WWII is probably one of my favourite periods to read about. I've got this on my Kindle, can't wait to read it! Great review."

Thanks! I'd love to hear your thoughts once you read it!