Kyle's Reviews > The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them

The Boy Book by E. Lockhart

M_50x66
Let me just say, I absolutely hate chic-lit. To me, it's too heavy on the romance, sometimes can be very petty, and does not interest me whatsoever. When The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks caught my interest and went on my TBR (however it is not anymore since I read it and gave it 4.5 stars) I saw the Ruby Oliver books next to it, and when I clicked on it just to see what it was about, I saw so many five star ratings from people I trust, I just had to read it.

I liked The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver. It did not change my life, nor my view of anything in our society. It was amusing, the characters were pretty well rounded, and like in TDHOFLB, it promoted good messages about feminism and girls respecting themselves and their independence. I also loved the writing style, and wanted to see where the series would go.

However, I think this installment adds more to what was already set up. The humor was funnier than the first book (the first is still funny), the characters were more developed, Ruby's voice really grew on me, I couldn't put this book down, the messages were even stronger yet it doesn't sound like preaching nor is there woman hating going on towards non-feminist girls, and my urge to read on what the last two books was intensified.

This is definitely my favorite E. Lockhart book, and I hope that the last two books live up to my now very high expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Book.

06/22/2012 page 16
8.0% "Fingers crossed this is as good as the first!"
show 1 hidden update…