Angela's Reviews > Utz

Utz by Bruce Chatwin

Jun 20, 12

Read from June 10 to 12, 2012, read count: 1

Utz is the story of Utz, a collector of fine porcelains. I have to admit the story was bizarre and somewhat hard to understand. The basic premise is before the war, Utz was a baron with a large estate. As a young child living with his grandmother, he took a fondness to porcelain figurines, using his money to purchase pieces. As he got older, he refined his tastes to learn between those pieces which were great and those which were fakes or sub-par.

With the onset of World War II, he packaged up his porcelains and fled the country with them to live in Czechoslovakia. Once established there in a small apartment, he unpacked his treasures and put them on display.

I honestly don't know what I got out of this read. At some point you realize that you're a certain length through the book and may as well continue to the end. It was a small book, so I didn't feel like I was spending too much time reading through it. This is one that I probably wouldn't recommend to my friends - it just wasn't all that entertaining or interesting.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Utz.