Pete daPixie's Reviews > The Frozen Deep

The Frozen Deep by Wilkie Collins

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: fiction, dramatics, polar, upon-the-briney-deep, 19thc-english
Read on June 26, 2012

'The Frozen Deep' was first published in 1874, originally written as a play by Collins in 1856. A novella of just over one hundred pages, this is a very quick read. No doubt inspired by the Victorian fascination with the lost expedition in search of the North West Passage led by Lord John Franklin in 1845.
A rare foray into nineteenth century fiction for me, Wilkie Collins' tale of vengeance and self sacrifice is played out within an Arctic expedition, lost and ice-locked in the Polar wastes. To bring spice to the plot the author also includes the dilemma of a love triangle, a pinch of guilt, as well as a dichotomy of Christian belief with that other Victorian allure to the occult.
Too short a novel to enthrall and not long enough to develop intriguing characterisation. All the same, has not put me off further reading of this writers work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frozen Deep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Have you read any of his longer work. I loved 'the Moonstone' which i think someone told me was heralded as the first detective novel and 'The woman in white' is a powerful read.

Pete daPixie Mark wrote: "Have you read any of his longer work. I loved 'the Moonstone' which i think someone told me was heralded as the first detective novel and 'The woman in white' is a powerful read."Haven't read these, but recommendation noted.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue It wasn't til I joined GR that I discovered he had written anything other than the Moonstone or The Woman in White.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Sue wrote: "It wasn't til I joined GR that I discovered he had written anything other than the Moonstone or The Woman in White."

isn't that the great thing about GR though. I have found some amazing writers I had never even heard of let alone not read anything by them

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Absolutely Mark. I'm also trying authors that I had been unsure of in the past (I often took the easy way with my reading). Now i'm finding how exciting and actually fun the challenge of adventurous reading can be.