Tânia's Reviews > Twined

Twined by A.L. Collins

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, read-2012, for-review
Read from June 24 to 25, 2012

I had no expectations when I started reading this book, and sometimes it’s the best thing to do, just jump head on and face whatever comes your way, or more to the case, stare hell in the face like ours truly, Avalin Marsh. I do know that I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did so this story was a very nice and refreshing surprise. It’s an easy, quick and enjoyable read that caught my attention from the beginning and kept me interested till the very end.

There were a few things that bothered me, though, regarding edition work. I noticed some grammar errors, lack of commas between sentences and some gaps I thought were unnecessary. But that didn’t stop me from being invested in reading. It was just a matter of getting used to, I think.

I loved Avalin Marsh’s character; she’s just my kind of girl. She’s kick-ass, strong, sarcastic, outspoken, and a bit of a tomboy… okay, a lot considering she practically speaks and acts like a guy. Life made her that way, I think, since the day of her eleventh birthday when her mother killed a person. Avalin practically grew up building walls around her for protection. I liked the subtle way the author made her gradually break down the bricks of the wall to let Albert enter her world. Albert is also a charismatic character, acting all mysterious and pulling us to his mystery in the hopes we can solve it. Their relationship starts in the wrong foot (or should I say the wrong kiss?), alternating between embarrassing and dangerous situations, perfectly balanced by relaxed and funny moments. I really liked the characters sense of humor, and I couldn’t help but laugh with Prajna at the beginning when they’re discussing the shapes of the drawings in the cars. That was hilarious, and I wish we could have known more about Prajna and Lyle.

The premise of this book is unique and totally different from anything I’ve read before in the supernatural world. The author created the Twined, a race that depends on humans for their survival. There were some elements that might have escaped me because they were not explained thoroughly, but I think there’s a good chance of it happening in the second book as the story unfolds. Speaking of second book, what a cliffhanger! I turned the page to see if that was really it, and it was, I have to wait for the sequel to come out. That was a perfect opening for the continuation of the series.

Overall, a good YA book, with a plot full of action, and a few side snarky remarks from dear Avalin, totally worth it just so you can get to know her awesome personality, interesting take on the supernatural and great characters! And the waiting for the second book to come out begins now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twined.

06/24/2012 page 117