~☆ Alice☆~'s Reviews > Flipped

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Jul 15, 12

Read from July 11 to 15, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flipped.

Quotes ~☆ Alice☆~ Liked

Wendelin Van Draanen
“Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss...." He turned to me. "But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”

Wendelin Van Draanen
“Get beyond his eyes and his smile and the sheen of his hair -- Look at what's really there.”

Wendelin Van Draanen
“One's character is set at an early age, son. The choices you make now will affect you for the rest of your life.”

Wendelin Van Draanen
“Proper lighting is everything, Julianna.”

07/11/2012 page 13
07/13/2012 page 35
17.0% "My opinion of Bryce is going down, down down...."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ania oooh I really liked this one! Hope you'll like it too :)

~☆ Alice☆~ I like Bryce less and less. Does he improve at any point? He is horrible.

Ania hmm as I recall he doesn't know how to deal with the situation so he panics and ends up doing something stupid. But he has an awesome grandfather and so I forgave him. I guess the point of the whole story is that the 2 of them- he and the girl- never talked, not much anyway, and so it's this constant miscommunication. There was a movie made of this book as well. It's quite good but I didn't like it that they made it in the 50s/60s.

~☆ Alice☆~ Miscommuncation sounds right but I don't like his character so I doubt I will forgive him even if he has a wonderful grandfather. That business with the eggs was ridiculous so he seems like a loser to me. I really felt sad for Juli.

Ania I agree but you see, the point of his side of the story is that he needs to grow up and become a better person. And for Juli, she needs not to fall for people willy-nilly :P.

~☆ Alice☆~ Well, we can't help falling for people as its our brain chemistry. Some people fall in love and some never do but hopefully she can look beyond her brain idiocy and control it.

~☆ Alice☆~ Its very hard to control brain chemistry as we are born with it.

Ania Yeah I agree but I think when you're a kid you're also immature ... so more likely to fall in love at first sight. I think as we grow up we know there's more to it than looks. Hope you're liking the book more! I read it cause I was under the impression that it's a funny book. It wasn't, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

message 9: by ~☆ Alice☆~ (last edited Jul 15, 2012 07:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

~☆ Alice☆~ Oh, I have been falling in love my whole life. I think it finally stopped a few years ago at least I hope as its mostly miserable. I just finished the book and I still like Juli very much and I still think Bryce is a low life scum sucking cad to quote a friend I had. He does not deserve her and I hope she manages to ditch him. I do think its mildly funny but the subject is too serious. I hope his mother divorces his father. It reminds me a little of the book Jassy. Similar idiot guy in that book too. (also like his father) I have to say its very interesting and handling a tough subject. I was interested to read a few years ago that some people NEVER fall in love! Isn't that too weird?