Kat T. 's Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

Jul 05, 12

Read from June 20 to 22, 2012

It's weird that for a book that is about Reapers and death, I found myself laughing my head off throughout the novel.

Croak is one of those books that can completely deceive you with its cover and synopsis. My first impression of the novel was it would be kind of scary and somewhat disturbing. Well, yes, some of the parts are kind of disturbing or weird, depending on how you look at it (view spoiler). But that didnt stop me from reading it.

Lex is rude, violent and downright scary for a 16-year-old. But despite all the things that she achieved in the book (mostly inflict pain on everybody who has a face), I cant seem to bring myself to hate her, especially the way she developed as a character in the novel. Her rebellious attitude was dampened as the book progressed, and what came after was a girl who surprisingly has a heart of gold but still have a little spunk in her.

The hot, goofy roommate of our beloved protagonist is also one of my favorites. Both Lex and Driggs work really well together, and I'm happy that they both have chemistry (though not the chemistry that I'm looking for) with each other. The whole gang of reapers made the reading experience worthwhile. Their quirky personality was enough to keep me entertained throughout the whole book.

The world of Croak is a bit confusing. I can say that I understood the basics, but when it came to the parts where there are a lot of things that require one's knowledge about the reaper world Damico created, I was completely lost. But what really grabbed my attention was the unusual writing style of the author. The humor was delivered effortlessly which I applaud her for. But I cant say the same for the way she delivered the plot and the romance. The plot of the story was barely there. I was actually waiting for something more to happen during that scene with Zara and Lex. The same goes for Driggs and Lex's relationship.

I cant say that I liked the ending of the novel, but seeing as there are more things that will happen, I'm planning to stick around for the next book before I make my own conclusions about the entire series. Hopefully, the next one will leave me breathless.

P.S. I'd very much like to see how John Lennon is doing in the Afterlife.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Celia Hinojosa true, it is weird to be laughing so hard about a book filled with death and grim reapers. it was kind of weird for me to see her so rebellious and hard in the further along the book turns nice and soft. it was nice how their group of reapers and cullers, all their personalities we're mixed in together and fit perfectly with one another. I guess you could get lost in how the town of Croak functions and all but I understood it all perfectly. It is also good to know that I'm not the only one who didn't really seem to like the ending.