Eva's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

5220047
Jun 22, 2012

bookshelves: favorite
Read from June 20 to 22, 2012

This is just a review for Chapters 1-62, and there has been a total of 85 chapters posted as of today.

This fanfiction is excellent. Not just excellent, amazing. Mildly ingenious in its concept, hilarious in its rendition, and most of all, worthy of the original books.

The logic is clever(not merely clever- scientifically sound- read the notes on the website if you don't believe me), the characters are likable.

Yes, it can get silly at times, from Harry throwing fits to the rather ridiculous level of empathy he has for other people. His speeches, as silly as they are, brought me to tears, especially the ones he gives in order to summon his Patronus.

And, yes there are references. Look this fic up on TvTropes for the full listing (it has a separate page). There may have been an Elfquest reference, or perhaps a love of the stars is instilled in both authors and therefore in both characters (however the wording was suspiciously similar).

I love this fanfiction. It is the best one I have read since Show Me the Way (a Lord of the Rings fanfiction), and as that one was a shipping fic I feel I must place Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality even higher than it.

[One last note: this fanfiction is not the normal length of ordinary fanfiction. It's not even a short story, it's not even a novella. It's a novel.]
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

06/20
05/10 marked as: read
show 20 hidden updates…

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Hirsch Thanks for reviewing this, Eva. I checked it out and you're right--it's great. It's playing havoc with my productivity...

I never did read the books, but saw all the movies with my kids. This is better. Harry says all the things that I wanted to say while watching the movies. Like, what's up with those crazy quidditch rules? And how does magic interact with conservation of energy?

I keep giggle while reading the book. Usually, even with funny books, I just laugh internally. :-)

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva I'm glad you're enjoying it.