constance's Reviews > Undone

Undone by Lila DiPasqua

6702039
Aug 11, 14

bookshelves: first-reads, historical-romance, favorites, fairy-tale-romance
Read from July 19 to 22, 2012

So I absolutely loved this book ( I know I absolutely love a lot of books, but I really, really, loved this one). I'm also super excited because I got this book as a goodreads first read (only my second win, and my first to review). Yay!!

I was very impressed with the first two in Lila DiPasqua's Fiery Tales series (sadly I've not yet read the third book) so I was very much so looking forward to reading Undone. Undone, like all the fiery tales are loosely based on classic fairy tale, in this case it is Rapunzel.

Angelica has spent years hiding away in a convent in the Republic of Genoa. No one, not even her closest friend Gabriella, knows anything about her past, not even her last name. And Angelica does her best to keep it that way. Everything changes on one moonlit night when Angelica, making a extremely rare trip outside the convent, literally runs into Simon Boulenger, a Frech Privateer captain. Simon is so taken with Angelica's beauty does something he has never done before, he chases after a woman. Simon finds Angelica just in time to see her being hit as punishment for leaving the convent. The blow cause Angelica to fall and lose consciousness. Enraged, Simon takes it upon himself to remove both Angelica and Gabriella from the convent. He takes them onto his ships and sails them to France.

So the hero rescues the fair maiden in the first 20 pages, or so we think. Until Angelica awakens and realizes that she has been returned to the very place she has tried so desperately to get away from. She demands to be returned to the convent, but Simone refuses. Instead they set sail for Simon's West Indian Island home. And the real adventure/love story begins.

There is so much about this book that is just amazing, and I don't want to ruin it with spoilers.
Angelica may quite possibly be my favorite historical romance heroine yet. She suffered through and survived things that no woman should have to, and she remained strong. I love that while she has the intelligence and common sense to be afraid when the situation calls for it (unlike so many romance heroines), she also stands her ground and doesn't cower in fear at the slightest things (again unlike so many romance heroines). And Simon, who I absolutely adore, is the first historical romance hero I've some across in quite a while, who is not somewhat of an asshat (granted some of them have been likable asshats, but still asshats all the same). Simon has all the qualities one looks for in a hero, and not just the obvious ones like looks, or wealth. Simon has a heart, he has a conscience, and he genuinely feels compassion and love for others.

There are so many things that could keep this couple a part, but they fight through it all and in the end find their much deserved Happily Ever After.

Aside from the awesome characters, I have to also says that I think Ms. DiPasqua is just an all around great writer. Her loves scenes are hot and very well written, but it is the emotion her characters display that really warms me. You also can tell that she put a lot of effort and research into creating this book. She worked hard to make things as historically accurate as possible, but didn't make the historical aspects boring at all. Her writing style pulls you in and makes it so that you never want to put the book down, unless you are moving on to the next one in the series.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undone.