Laura's Reviews > Perfect From Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life

Perfect From Now On by John Sellers

Oct 11, 10

bookshelves: adult
Read in January, 2010

I like a lot of different types of music but if I had to pick just ONE genre that I feel I listen to more than others, it's indie. This is why I thought, hey! I'll try this book, it's about indie music and even though often many indie fans can be annoyingly pretentious when talking about their favorite music, this book looks pretty neat.
Lo and behold, I couldn't stand this book. Took me about 7 chapters in to get to the arrrrg point. The author is judgmental, pretentious, and seems to dislike everything at least once (although he also contradicts himself too throughout the book). He also doesn't back his judgments up with anything that resembles reason or logic or an advanced knowledge of music. For example, he doesn't like the Flaming Lips because he doesn't like the band name or when they wear animal costumes.
Even if you can tolerate his contradictory taste in music, you are then struck by a severe lack of plot or substance because when he isn't ranting about music he is discussing his very dull and run-of-the-mill childhood (felt like an outcast, had trouble getting girls, and drove around going to concerts... yawn). His footnotes that never end simply adds to the mind numbing boring nature of the text.
I'm not sure why this book got published. It speaks to such an amazingly small population, that sliver of indie music loves who: 1. Love the Smiths, the Pixies, and Radiohead (also acceptable: The Replacements, Guided by Voices, and Pavement), 2. Love other people criticizing music at great lengths, and 3. Don't get upset or defensive when music they like its judged negatively (because out of all the bands he talks about he is bound to have something scathing to say about one of your favorites). I can't imagine too many people passing all three criteria.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect From Now On.