Katie Valenti's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Meg Cabot

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: why-did-i-read-this, on-the-verge-of-being-terrible
Read from June 19 to July 02, 2012

I feel like this is blasphemy, me giving Meg Cabot an okay book review. Every time I read one of her books, I can't put them down. This time I just couldn't get into it.

First off, Pierce pissed me off. She was constantly crying and jumping to conclusions that would ultimately be wrong and make her look like an idiot. Not to mention that she COMPLETELY seems to forget that she is in danger. For example, Pierce has a necklace that will tell her when Furies are near (it will turn black). Throughout the book she never thinks to look down and check BEFORE doing something. She will go down a dark alley and then look at her necklace and then she'll be attacked by a Fury, instead of just looking at it before going into the alley <--- I'm not sure that scenario actually happened but that's the gist of what would happen.

Also, there just seemed to be so many things to discover. Usually, I like a lot of things to keep me on my toes but it was more like "oh, I lied." So you're being led on the whole time thinking that (for example) (view spoiler) I'd rather learn about a secret than be blindsided at the end with something completely irrelevant.

Oh and the rules of this book are completely useless. It's like you can't do this, but all of a sudden some miracle happens and, guess what? YOU CAN DO IT!! For example (view spoiler) It just seems too unrealisitic to me...

Lastly, there are wayy too many characters. At some point there were as many as 6 people talking at once. It just got so confusing.

Overall, its a good concept. It's just...not written very well. I LOVE Meg Cabot but I didn't really LOVE this book :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Is it getting any better?

hilary biggart Is it just me or did it seem eerily similar to Twilight? Whiny heroine and a boyfriend with a complex to constantly protect her? I loved Abandon, but was sorely disappointed with Underworld.

Katie Valenti hilary wrote: "Is it just me or did it seem eerily similar to Twilight? Whiny heroine and a boyfriend with a complex to constantly protect her? I loved Abandon, but was sorely disappointed with Underworld."

I totally agree! I liked Abandon wayy better and this one was just like Twilight! I don't understand why all the authors now think they have to use the same stereotypical characteristics of books that have been successful. If every book is the same, what's the point of reading it? You know EXACTLY what's going to happen every single time and then it makes you angry. I DON'T WANT TO BE ANGRY!!