Danica Page (One Page at a Time)'s Reviews > Cottonwood Summer '45

Cottonwood Summer '45 by Gary Slaughter

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: asked-to-review, world-war-ii, young-adult, adult-fiction, historical-fiction, non-fiction
Read on June 19, 2012 — I own a copy

This review also appeared on my blog Taking It One Page at a Time

My Rating: 3.5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I honestly did not expect to enjoy this novel as much as I did.

This book was hilarious, informative, entertaining, educational, and masterfully written. Slaughter created a novel that made for an incredible read.

This novel is the fifth in the series. I have not read the first four, but I didn't feel lost. Like several reviewers have pointed out, this novel does move slowly at times. However, I never felt bored or lost.

The author did choose to include pages of non-fiction facts; however, I found those interesting...and if readers really wanted to they could skip those and still follow and enjoy the story.

The story focuses on eleven year olds Danny and Jase and their adventures on the outskirts of a small Michigan town next to a German POW camp. The novel follows their adventures as they outwit escaped German POWs and help local law enforcement solve crimes.

While some might contend that the events in this book might be slightly far-fetched at times, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and personally I didn't mind the possible stretches in the plot. In fact, I rather enjoyed watching Danny and Jase's outwit the "bad guys."

This book was entertaining and informative. It's one that I definitely recommend to fans of historical fiction, especially fans of World War II.

In Summary: An informative and entertaining read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Wrap-up: This book is long and I honestly didn't expect to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Cottonwood was a delightful read that had me laughing out loud and amused. The characters Jase and Daniel were fun to follow.

Love,

Danica Page

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cottonwood Summer '45.