Babs's Reviews > Because of You

1970552
Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: romance, military
Read from June 19 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Shane is about to go back to Iraq reluctant to go to a farewell party for all his men he goes anyway to make sure none fo to jail. After his recent divorce as his wife left him, he doesn't want to see his men saying goodbye to their wives or girlfriends. He's very protective of his men.

Jen is a breast cancer survivor who has lost one breast. She is conscious of her looks as any woman would be. Laura her friend and wife of Shane's captain. Laura talks her into going to the party to get out and about. Jen decides to go and bumps into Shane at the bar. They begin to talk until a fight breaks out among his men and a LT. Jen and Shane share a kiss that neither would like to forget.

Deploy day comes the next day and Shane does not want to see the doctors has he has some surgery and knows they won't let him go with his men. Lucky for him Jen is one of the nurses at the line. He convinces Jen to let him get on the plane.

What happens next can change both their lives.

This story him home on so many levels. Being an exArmy wife I can relate to both characters. Shane and the leadership of his men, putting his men first, Jen wondering if she can help shane when he gets back. Shane being upset coming home "damaged" trying to make his life work knowing he needs help, but pushes people away. Jen not knowing how Shane will take her news about her cancer and what scares are left.

Being an Army or any military, wife or girlfriend is not easy. Being the husband or boyfriend is not easy either. Being deployed can take its toll, but a support system holds everyone together. I enjoyed seeing the support in this story. No one is left even soldiers that come back to no family or had no family to before they left. The author hits on everything and brings it all to life for all to see. The support is overwhelming but all so true. You get a glimpse of what the life is really like on both sides.

Jessica writes with such passion with the struggles of the men and woman on both ends when their men or wives return. I found myself in tears a few times as the struggles were hard at times no matter how hard they tried. As Jessica writes from personal experiences you can feel the struggles and strength coming through the book. It hits close to home as I am still good friends with my ex and he has no family. I still take care of packages being sent, anything he needs me to take care of I will help. It makes you think of all the real sacrifices our men and women make every single day.

I for one loved the book and am waiting on the next book to be released.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of You.