aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)'s Reviews > The Thing Around Your Neck

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: favorites-that-are-purrfect, literary
Read from June 19 to 24, 2012

Astonishing. In 12 short stories this accomplished Nigerian writer, using her experience and knowledge of Nigerian history and culture as her prism, skillfully encompasses the entirety of being human in a world where how one relates to people can determine happiness or success. Some of the stories are placed in Nigeria, and the authentic detail is marvelous, and some of the stories are of Nigerian immigrants living uneasily in America, uncertain of acceptance by neighbors and employers, while struggling with unfamiliar foods and social customs. All the stories but one are from a woman's standpoint, and in telling their individual stories, the difficulties which are inherent in building bridges to an unseen shore are thoroughly explored. The writing is mature and spare, the author's art of exposing emotion with as few descriptive sentences as necessary is amazing.

Some of my faviorite quotes:

"He used to make me feel that nothing I said was witty enough or sarcastic enough or smart enough. He was always struggling to be different, even when it didn't matter. It was as if he was performing his life instead of living his life."

"How can you love somebody and yet want to manage the amount of happiness that person is allowed?"

"She wanted to interrupt and tell him how unnecessary it was, ths bloodying and binding, this turning faith into a pugilistic exercise; to tell him that life was a struggle with ourselves more than a spear-wielding Satan; that belief was a choice for our conscience always to be sharpened."

"You wanted to write that rich Americans were thin and poor Americans were fat..."

"You did not know that people could simply choose not to go to school, that people could dictate to life. You were used to accepting what life gave, writing down what life dictated."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thing Around Your Neck.

06/23/2012 page 57
06/23/2012 page 128
57.0% "The short story, 'The Thing Around Your Neck' is superb."
06/23/2012 page 167
75.0% "'The Shivering' is the sweet story so far. A real friendship so aptly described, you feel terrific at the end."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeniffer (new)

Jeniffer Almonte I listened to Chimamanda getting interviewed on NPR a few years ago and immediately planned to read this book. Since then, it had sort of slipped through the cracks. Thank you for reminding me!

Gorfo Ahhh! I'm so happy that you read it early! I haven't started yet but I am really thrilled after reading you review!

aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) Your welcome, Jeniffer!

Gorfo, I'm very happy that Book Freaks selected this book for the July read! It was the club that introduced me to this writer and I plan to read her other books. I read it early because the library made it available within a day of my asking for it. It is absolutely wonderful.

Gorfo I'm so glad we helped you to discover an author you're now so passionate about!