M.V. Freeman's Reviews > Dragonswood

Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: historical, fantasy, books-that-inspired-me
Read in June, 2012

This book grabbed me from the first page:

Tess is a blacksmith's daughter and all she's known is his rages and abuse. Her mother loves her but fails to protect. When she is falsely accused of being a witch and incriminates her friends under torture, Tess flees. She warns her friends but her betrayal has changed all of their lives and they are forced to run with her.

They find protection in Dragonswood the sanctuary set aside for Fey and Dragon. A place she's always been drawn to. A Woodsman, Garth, is charged with keeping the Sanctuary safe from human trespass. He takes them in and keeps them from the witch hunters.

Together Tess and Garth try to right the wrongs done by her forced confession and to save the kingdom and sanctuary from destruction. In this journey Tess finds more about herself and a hope of things she never dared to think of before.

This story has lost princes, dragons, and Fey. It is about friendship, self-worth, strength and love. I adored Tess- and cheered for her. The Author wrote the heroine in terms I could understand--even when Tess had to face her tortuerer again--I identified with the emotions so deeply imbedded and found it the most realistic I've ever read. There was no benign forgiveness of something so horrifically done to her--but a guarded anger and distrust--and a resolution to do what must be done to save those she loved.

I look for books like this! This is one Author I am putting on my "To Be Read" anytime I see a book. Thank you for this story. It has inspired me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonswood.