Stephen Terrell's Reviews > 4th of July

4th of July by James Patterson

Jul 17, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is so bad that I quit reading. It got to the point that I was cringing on nearly every page because of the incredible inaccuracies and misperceptions about civil procedure, trials and the legal system.

The fundamental basis of the book is off kilter. A cop shoots 2 armed teens after she and her partner are shot and critically injured by those very teens -- teens who have committed several murders as part of a "game." But inexplicably, contrary to all reason and reality, the cop is publicly castigated as a "teen killer." The reality is that in any part of the known universe, the cop would be hailed as a hero. It is a nonsensical plot devoid of connection to reality.

The legal aspect of the book, which is key to the plot, would be comical if it were not written to be serious. It seems the product of someone whose entire knowledge of the law and legal procedure was garnered from watching lawyer shows on television -- and not good lawyer shows.

These "James Patterson" books written by other authors, at least the ones I have read, are simply hideous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 4th of July.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Sadly, Patterson's work has gone way downhill. He's churning out texts so quickly that it's almost as though he's not reading what he's writing.

Stephen Terrell I'm not sure he does.

William wrote: "Sadly, Patterson's work has gone way downhill. He's churning out texts so quickly that it's almost as though he's not reading what he's writing."