Amanda's Reviews > Widow’s Web

Widow’s Web by Jennifer Estep

Jun 19, 2012

bookshelves: adult, fantasy-magic, fantasy-paranormal, guilty-pleasure, kick-ass-heroines, audiobook
Read from August 24 to 25, 2012

So really I want to rate Widow's Web a 4 Star, but I listened to the audiobook version and the narrator is so so incredibly amazing that I have to kick it to a 5 star rating.

This series is by far one of my favorites! Jennifer Estep did not disappoint with Widow's Web.

Estep's writing always sucks me right in to Gin's character. Gin is one of the most self-aware characters I've read. The fact that she can recognize her faults, yet still make mistakes due to those faults, makes her so completely human and easy to relate to (obviously minus her killer tendencies).

I'm devistated about the emotional turmoil of Gin's and Owen's relationship in this book. Despite this, I wasn't outraged by how things progressed. Even though I wanted to slap Owen out of the "man syndrome" of being completely blind to a manipulative woman, I think Gin and Owen were very mature with how they communicated during these troublesome times (almost too mature, but it gives me hope for real life relationships).

I did find some of the action of this book lacking a bit. Actually, it's not that there wasn't enough action, but more that I had some issues with the action that did occur. I just don't see Gin, the Spider!, allowing someone to easily knock a knife out of her hand, let alone two, whether or not slippery mud is a factor. I would have rather had her drop them due to slipping or getting knocked down as opposed to someone who should not have been capable disarming an infamous assassin.

And what's with Gin not having enough power to freeze and free herself from a creek? Did we all forget that she brought down an entire diamond mine by freezing, and melting, and freezing, and melting a lake/creek above the mine? She's supposed to have a crazy amount of raw elemental power and I just didn't find the conclusion to that particular fight as consistent with how bad ass Gin usually is.

On another note, if you ever listen to audiobooks, this whole series is definitely one to which you should treat yourself. Lauren Fortang is an excellent narrator (one of the best - and I'm pretty critical). As you listen to her interpretation of the story, you feel less like you're listening to a narrator and more like you're recalling your own thoughts and becoming Gin herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widow’s Web.