Manny's Reviews > Troy DeNuthe's World of Ice Cubes

Troy DeNuthe's World of Ice Cubes by Troy DeNuthe

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: science, history-and-biography, linguistics-and-philosophy, transcendent-experiences, why-not-call-it-poetry
Recommended to Manny by: The author
Read on June 20, 2012

I read Professor DeNuthe's book while finishing Carroll Quigley's monumental Tragedy and Hope, and it's impossible not to be struck by the many parallels. Quigley spends 1300 pages giving a multi-faceted picture of world society over the first half of the twentieth century, considering it simultaneously from the points of view of macroeconomics, power relationships, weapons technology, psychology and religion. But DeNuthe, with the capable help of his editor and girlfriend, shows that a much simpler explanation is possible: it all comes down to ice cubes. At first, I will admit that I had my doubts, but DeNuthe's arguments are irrefutable. Socrates, Hitler, the Titanic, blue plastic trays... they all link together into a coherent whole. My view of the world is permanently changed.

I suppose the Nobel Prize committee will go through the motions of considering other candidates, but, frankly, they could spare themselves the trouble. Remember you read it here first.
_______________________________________________

I recently came across this interesting page and immediately turned to my well-thumbed copy of World of Ice Cubes, expecting to find Professor DeNuthe's authoritative opinion set forth in his usual forthright style. Alas, nothing! But hopefully in the next edition?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troy DeNuthe's World of Ice Cubes.

message 1: by David (new)

David Lentz Is this where Ice Cubism comes into vogue?

Manny I think so. I'm still so stunned that I haven't managed to absorb all the details.

message 3: by David (new)

David Cerruti - Are there any references to ice-nine?

message 4: by Manny (last edited Jun 20, 2012 12:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Manny Troy, thank you very much for the invitation! I will keep those days free in my calendar.

I think you should ask Eh! as well. She was probably just so overcome by the brilliance of the book that she felt anything she said would be inadequate.

Manny David, no explicit references to Ice-Nine that I caught on the first read-through, but they could well be hidden somewhere in its dense, allusive web of meaning. Honestly, Ulysses has nothing on Troy DeNuthe's World of Ice Cubes.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I know that if you gave it five stars I should read it. You hold back the stars a little more than me.

Manny Well, it's possible I see things in this book that not everyone would see.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Sometimes I give 5 stars to books simply because I enjoyed it or liked some idea in the book and not because it was particularly well written.

Gutemann I just paid money for this thing.

Manny Ah, I'm glad to see you gave it five stars. A few people, I have no idea why, have accused my review of exaggeration or hyperbole. You are clearly a man of discerning taste.

Gutemann That I am. *Drops an ice-cube in his port wine*.