Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Warning:Its bitchy and not comprehensive as a review at all so please, no whining

Well. I'm Disappointed. Is that it?

I get it, Its a series we've got to leave some stuff for the next books, but that doesn't excuse ...ummm this lack luster start to a series.

Frost has great characters to build off of but doesn't deliver Its really quite annoying. The book was boring and the characters weren't even that likable. I expect way more of a paranormal vet who has a much anticipated novel. I mean , the novel is half ass

And don't get me started on the end.

I think i will wait for Kresley Cole to put out her two awaited novels, Those NEVER disappoint.
29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

06/27/2012 "i like this book but he is a dick, and it would be more tolerable if she was written to be a doormat character but from what it seems she is suposed to be ballsy so....lets see those balls...and lets not have a hero who is always F*#$%ING right...aggravating"

message 1: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Gotta love that cover!

message 2: by Lady Jaye (new) - added it

Lady Jaye LOL!!

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Tammy wrote: "Gotta love that cover!"

paul marron is a god send to romance!!!!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I stalled out on NH too but if I like Vlad's book it might make me go back.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Stacia ~ mistress of mediocrity wrote: "I stalled out on NH too but if I like Vlad's book it might make me go back."

I'm sooo disappointed :/ I don't think I will continue this series

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee Shame you didn't like this Tai.....Maybe this one was just suffering from first in the series syndrome.....Might be worth a try to push on and read the next one and fingers crossed, hopefully you will enjoy it!

I also love KC, her books are fab and definitely worth the wait!

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Dee wrote: "Shame you didn't like this Tai.....Maybe this one was just suffering from first in the series syndrome.....Might be worth a try to push on and read the next one and fingers crossed, hopefully you w..."

you know what, I generally liked it, hence the three stars, but i was SUPER disappointed, Idk I just thought it would be better, especially since its not like its a completely foreign new series so she didn't have to waste time world building to the max.
are you reading it Dee? :)

Oh yeah, queen of paranormal right there!

Aly is so frigging bored *GASP* I can't believe you didn't like it... I think, at the moment, you are my only friend who didn't.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee A definite shame...I hate it when I am eagerly waiting for a book to be released and get all hyped up about it and then it doesn't quite hit the mark! :(

I love PNR but haven't read any JF yet as have the impression that her books lean more towards UF rather than PNR?

I am on a HR kick at the moment but will go back to my fabourite PNR soon!

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Dee wrote: "A definite shame...I hate it when I am eagerly waiting for a book to be released and get all hyped up about it and then it doesn't quite hit the mark! :(

I love PNR but haven't read any JF yet as ..."

yeah, more UF than PNR for sure.

Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "*GASP* I can't believe you didn't like it... I think, at the moment, you are my only friend who didn't."

I KNOW, i looked at all the reviews and everyone liked it. I didn't even think the sex was that hot, although i vaguely liked the shower scene. *sigh* i did like it, but that was as far as my emotions went. I expected more from here and was let down in that regard. It was more plot heavy than romance which is okay but the plot was predictable and the romance was lack luster so unless the next book gets mega action romance y i already know that by book three i'm gonna be tired unless the books progressively get better. However, with a author who is a paranormal vet with a series that isn't all that "new" I don't think I should have to wait for vast improvement. However, i'm happy to know that I'm on the minority and that most people like the book! :D

Lindsay I expected so much more from Vlad. I was disappointed, too. And, seriously, Leila was really rather annoying. And repeated herself. A lot.

Diana~ I think I know what you mean? The book started off REALLY great! But then... I don't really know what happened after that. Leila really annoyed me-- although I still love Vlad. Seeing a little bit of Cat and Bones made me miss them though....

Lindsay Diana~ wrote: "I think I know what you mean? The book started off REALLY great! But then... I don't really know what happened after that. Leila really annoyed me-- although I still love Vlad. Seeing a little bit ..."

But even Cat and Bones felt off to me. Maybe more Cat - she called Bones 'honey' - that might be nitpicking, but I can't ever remember her calling him that (unless she was being sarcastic).

And I felt crazy because I thought Kira had brown hair - again, being nitpicky, but with the rest of the book being 'eh' to me, these things really stuck out.

Diana~ Oh yeah, that's very true. The Cat from before would never call Bones that. Bones still felt the same from before but Cat was a little bit different?

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Diana~ wrote: "I think I know what you mean? The book started off REALLY great! But then... I don't really know what happened after that. Leila really annoyed me-- although I still love Vlad. Seeing a little bit ..."

i love vlad's ....potential! I mean I just think it is going untapped. It would have been a good start for a new writer, but she isn't and its not like world buidling was hard because she based this off of an already established series. sign* oh well

bibliophile brouhaha wrote: "I expected so much more from Vlad. I was disappointed, too. And, seriously, Leila was really rather annoying. And repeated herself. A lot."
omg yay! im not the only one who that that. yes sooooo repetitive!!!!!

Lindsay LBBalls, every time she remarked upon his arrogance. . . I just wanted to be all, "It's okay, honey. I get what you're saying. I've know him since NH3, kay?"

And, spoiler alert, stop reading this now if you haven't read it, but the whole, "I am incapable of love" thing? Please. Please with a side of scotch. A double, if you don't mind.

message 17: by Jayded (new) - added it

Jayded to bibliophile: I noticed the honey too. and Bones saying "I simply must meet..." really? I can't recall Bones talking like that. Leila annoyed me with all the internal dialogue. There was just too much. and the whole impressions turning into concrete thoughts he overheard was a little off for me. Not sure I can explain that, but something was off.
I liked it enough to continue, mostly in the hopes of "hearing" more of vlad's feelings and seeing him fall in love. If she does as good a job as she did with Bones and his emotions I'm willing to deal with Leila at least once more. I'm glad I wasn't the only one disappointed.

Lindsay I agree. I'll return for book 2 and hope for a reprieve. Leila needs to become a better character and Vlad not so flat, or the book 2 needs to switch up its POV(s).

Bodea That end was so lackluster and Vlad needs a personality quick.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Bodea wrote: "That end was so lackluster and Vlad needs a personality quick."

this comment basically sums the book up haha :]

MelissaB I was also disappointed with the book. I wasn't really convinced Vlad really liked her and I really wanted his POV, that would have made it more interesting.

message 22: by ✿Alyssa✿ (new)

✿Alyssa✿ I love the picture of Kanye West in your review, Tai! It had me cracking up laughing- LOL! :) I'm sorry the book was so disappointing for you! I'll be sure to avoid this one in the near future!

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "I love the picture of Kanye West in your review, Tai! It had me cracking up laughing- LOL! :) I'm sorry the book was so disappointing for you! I'll be sure to avoid this one in the near future!" Yeah, i don't think its up your alley, its got a jerk hero but he's a boring jerk and the heroine is a bore snore!

MelissaB wrote: "I was also disappointed with the book. I wasn't really convinced Vlad really liked her and I really wanted his POV, that would have made it more interesting."

I agree, i was so surprised when mid novel I came to the realization that there would be no Vlad PoV which is what we were all waiting for. He came off soooo cold.

Emily Anne I am glad I was not the only one to see this book this way. Jeaniene Frost has got to get her act together.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Emily Anne wrote: "I am glad I was not the only one to see this book this way. Jeaniene Frost has got to get her act together."

you speekth the truth! I think she should turn to chick lit because this urban fantasy romance thing is barely passable!

Lindsay Didn't use to be like that, though. NH 5 & 6 weren't my favs, but I've loved everything else she has put out. Maybe too much in too short a time period?

Brittany B. This review made my day! Very funny and true.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Brittany B. wrote: "This review made my day! Very funny and true."

ha thanks girl :)

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Awww. I sowwy to hear you didn't like OB, Tai. =( I agree with a lot of stuff being discussed, especially the "I am incapable of love" line. Not only "Please with a side of scotch" but "BITCH, PLEASE with a shot of vodka." So very very melodramatic. O__o Cry me a m'fucking river, Vlad.

But I digress. Yes, this book was all over the place, heavy-handed in areas where it should've been light & vice versa. OB reminds me a lot of the earlier NH books, but I like that! I quit NH after book #5 (it turned into stagnant, boring bs for me) & firmly believe that the first 3 books were the best, so starting from scratch is definitely not a complaint of mine. Hopefully you'll like Twice Tempted better, my friend. *crossed fingers*

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana LethalLovely~I've Come to Relieve U of Life & Love wrote: "Awww. I sowwy to hear you didn't like OB, Tai. =( I agree with a lot of stuff being discussed, especially the "I am incapable of love" line. Not only "Please with a side of scotch" but "BITCH, PLEA..."

Haha I so agree

Yeah, i just feel like she needs to shuck the whole night huntress esque anything troupe. Like she doesn't know how to do an effective spin off, the great thing about a spin off is you get so much more creative liberty and time to write a fucking amazing story. Instead she fucked around and wasted my time, she might as well have included this book in the other night huntress world books after mencheres or something. plus everyone was in love with vlad, not the girl. so why in the hell was it in the pov of the girl and not vlad. that made NO sense, because not only did I not like the girl but I didn't get what I wanted. the mind of vlad. THEN she included that bull shit mind reading theme which is a cop out! it ruins everything ....its like a spoiler ....haha :)

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Tai the Lioness wrote: " THEN she included that bull shit mind reading theme which is a cop out!"

OMG YES! On one hand, I'm glad Vlad was able to keep his mind reading powers. IIRC, Menchey (view spoiler) OTOH, it confused the living hell out of me. Every time Leila would think about this or contemplate that or explain things to the reader, I couldn't help thinking "Is Vlad reading her mind right now? Does he know every single freaking thought she is thinking to me?" Like when she was explaining her powers, I wondered if Vlad thought "Why the hell is she explaining her powers to herself?" It made my head hurt.

message 32: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu Wow, thanks for this review Tai :) I was so about to buy this book at Barnes&Nobles this weekend. Your review makes me think on it. I was really hoping Vlad would be a romantic if the way he "just held" Cat in book 4 was anything to go by. Aw this is so disappointing.
The Kayne West giff is so appropriate for your review, love it!

message 33: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu The cover model is just so fine, my God he gorgeous. He can be my magic mike.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Chrisolu wrote: "Wow, thanks for this review Tai :) I was so about to buy this book at Barnes&Nobles this weekend. Your review makes me think on it. I was really hoping Vlad would be a romantic if the way he "just ..."

Thanks Chrisolu, well the book wasn't horrible ya know. How did you feel about the night huntress series, if you loved it and continued to love it all through the series, than disregard this review and go for it. However, if you had some major problems with the series as it progressed than this book might not be the one for you. I will say, on boring day when you just want some paranormal romance it will get the job done.

and omg i so agree, his name is Paul Marron. He did the Lothaire cover for kresley cole and a couple other covers for her too, HOTTIE WITH A BODY! :)

message 35: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu I read books 1 and 4 of the night huntress. I swear I don't read these series book in order lol. I read the 4th book because I love when two men fight over the h. The first book was a challenge because I was not a fan of Bones beating the breaks off of Cat. Bones sort of made up for it during their first love scene lol.

I shall be googling Paul Marron for more images.

Brittany B. Chrisolu: you have to read part 2 and 3.
They are excellent. Vlad appears for the first time in Part 3. And he is delicious.

But you will see once you read NH Part 2, ch 32, that Bones is way hotter the Vlad. And you will need to turn up the AC. It's a famous scene now... :)

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Chrisolu wrote: "I read books 1 and 4 of the night huntress. I swear I don't read these series book in order lol. I read the 4th book because I love when two men fight over the h. The first book was a challenge bec..."

well if you liked those books go for it, it will probably work for you!! :)

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Brittany B. wrote: "Chrisolu: you have to read part 2 and 3.

But you will see once you read NH Part 2, ch 32, that Bones is way h..."

yeah that scene was AMAZING!!!!!

Brittany B. Tai the Lioness wrote: "Chrisolu wrote: "I read books 1 and 4 of the night huntress. I swear I don't read these series book in order lol. I read the 4th book because I love when two men fight over the h. The first book wa..."

Tai, did you not like NH at all? I loved NH 1-3. I have read them so many times, I feel like an obsessed fan or a book stalker. Lol.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Brittany B. wrote: "Tai the Lioness wrote: "Chrisolu wrote: "I read books 1 and 4 of the night huntress. I swear I don't read these series book in order lol. I read the 4th book because I love when two men fight over ..."

loved 1-2

message 41: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu I must read the second book because that's where the human who later becomes a vamp falls in love with Cat.

message 42: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu Brittany B. wrote: "Chrisolu: you have to read part 2 and 3.

But you will see once you read NH Part 2, ch 32, that Bones is way h..."

haha Brittany B. I will go to Barnes and Noble tomorrow and decamp on the floor just to read Part 2 ch 32. Blushes and all while drinking my iced coffee :)

Brittany B. Lofl...that is so great. But you're right about book 2. Tate is in that one. You'll end up reading the whole thing... Better get a Venti Iced Coffee! :))

I admit, there is the tiniest part of me that wished for a real love triangle during the later books. I never read 5 and 6. The series got stale.

message 44: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu Brittany B. wrote: "Lofl...that is so great. But you're right about book 2. Tate is in that one. You'll end up reading the whole thing... Better get a Venti Iced Coffee! :))

I admit, there is the tiniest part of me..."

Oh I love, love triangles anything where the hero suffers lol esp rake alpha heroes. Let him suffer and beg lol.

If you are into old school contemporary HP please check out Charlotte Lamb's Temptation and Sally Wentworth's The Judas Kiss the heroes suffered lol.

message 45: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu Brittany B, you dirty girl, I read book 2 chapter 32 standing in Barnes and Nobles with two big handsome men standing to my right. That chapter had me feeling light headed. Bones and Cat really got freaky in this book. Bones went for the "brown eye", I was reading like what???. Bones put his mark on her for sure.

message 46: by Zee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zee Wyatt I like your review. I didn't like it either. In fact I only got about 1/2 way thorugh. Vlad is such a completely different person then he is in the NH series that it turned me off major. In this book he was the run-of-mill paranormal male lead and I think thats extremely disappointing coming from Ms Frost.