Marizabeth's Reviews > Revealing Eden

Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, cross-genre, sci-fi, romance
Read in June, 2012

This book was part of the Kindle big deal, and became mine for a dollar. It took less than a day to read through.

I think the IDEAS behind this novel are wonderful, but the execution left much to be desired. First, I kept stumbling over typos and spelling errors that derailed my train of thought. Poor editing is the easiest way to murder a book's potential. Then, I could not get past the main character Eden's ridiculous prejudices and whiny nature. I literally wanted to punch her in the face. For the first half of the book or more, she completely resists any change, determined to stay in her dead-end previous life. FINALLY she does change, but when she does, it happens as a complete reversal in personality, rather than a gradual adjustment made over time in response to specific stimuli. In short, the evolution of the main character felt forced.

The underlying theme in this story is evolutionary survival of the fittest, which in a dystopian future where the sun has turned into a deadly force, rather than the harbinger of life on planet Earth, has created a racial segregation caste system. Those with the most melanin in their skin, the Coals, are the ruling class. Below them, in melanin strata, are the remaining races, ending with the Pearls on the bottom most rung. Only Cottons, or albinos, lie beneath Pearls. The inhabitants of Earth have burrowed underground to survive the sun's brutal rays. In this society, Coals are the standard of "beautiful". Pearls, like Eden, coat themselves to appear Coal-ish. Eden and her father are able to scrape a fairly decent living because her father is a genius scientist who has been hired by the wealthy and desirable Ronson Bramford. Everything would have been fine, if Eden hadn't figured out the point of the experiment and spilled the beans (view spoiler). Events culminate to a catastrophic change in events in terms of the experiment (view spoiler).

Then for several pages we suffer through Eden's emotional mood-swings, imagined injustices, petty and now unnecessary concerns regarding her physical appearance and her mate standing. It's truly grueling.

Then some love story starts to develop, then falls apart, rinses and repeats. More science and FINALLY Eden begins to accept her new life. And calls back the past in an idiot moment of misguided judgment.

Everything ends favorably, though. (view spoiler)

Except for this reader, who cannot accept the rather rash turn about of the main character and is still cringing at the lack of editing.

The question for me is still about the change in locales in the story. (view spoiler) Maybe the ideas needed a longer time to ferment before the book was published? Or maybe I am not the intended audience for this particular flight of fancy.

So, two stars for a good idea, and poor execution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revealing Eden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) You have essentially written out the whole plot of the book here. I haven't read the book yet. Could you put it in spoilers, so unsuspecting readers won't find out about everything that happens? Thanks/

message 2: by brownstocking (new)

brownstocking I thank you for the spoilers, so I don't waste money on this travesty.

Marizabeth Mel, sorry about that. I had thought at the time I was being fairly vague, but in rereading I see I was not as vague as I had thought. I have rectified that, although I realize it's a bit "too little, too late" for you, as you have read the original review already. Sorry. There is a lot more to the book than I wrote here, although I did reveal the bare bones of the plot.

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) No, it's okay. I have no intention of ever reading this anyway. No harm done for me personally, but maybe some other readers might get a little upset. Thanks for being so obliging! :)

Ashleigh Spoiler alert: this book is blatantly racist.

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) Ashleigh wrote: "Spoiler alert: this book is blatantly racist."

No, really? I never would have guessed from the synopsis.... :D