Raina's Reviews > Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper

Amulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: creepyish, graphicnovel, j
Recommended to Raina by: Rachel

I know, I know. Not quite sure why it took me this long to read this, either.

But there it is.

I was actually surprised by this. I was surprised by the darkness. By the ambiguity. By the sadness and the mashup of elements.

There are elements I really really liked. The mushrooms, some of the creatures, the HOUSE every time it appeared. Actually, BOTH of the houses are pretty awesome.

Granted, I've only read (and will probably only read) the first volume, but I didn't get why the rabbit character seemed to be drawn in an entirely different style. Also, I felt like the transition between worlds was a little hard to follow. I'm a very map-oriented, visual person, and there were a few places where I had to track back to figure out how I'd gotten to the panel I was seeing. I know it's kinda magical, but I was distracted by this, which halted the story for me at times.

I'm SO GLAD that kids are hooking into this, though. Rachel booktalked it a year ago, and it's caught on in a big way in my community.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amulet, Vol. 1.

Scott Robins The series gets better with each volume. Definitely check out vols 2-4 and 5 is coming this Fall. :-)

Raina Awesome. I'll try to get to them sometime. Not sure it will measure up to Zita the Spacegirl - you and I seem to have pretty different taste in kids comics. :)