Mickey's Reviews > Blood Zero Sky

Blood Zero Sky by J. Gabriel Gates

4208214
Aug 06, 12

Read from June 19 to July 30, 2012

What the dickens just happened to me? I think I may have just gotten slapped with a halibut, or maybe I just read something completely original. Blood Zero Sky by J. Gabriel Gates has a believable, if unfortunate outlook on the future. Governments have been privatized and cash is pretty much debunk. Instead, everyone is given a line of credit, which they work to pay off. But hard work gives you more credit, opening up opportunity to get new shiny toys and go further in debt. Pretty much, every working person is in debt for their entire life. The point of the system is that you won't pay it off; you'll be indebted to the company forever. (Side note- Nabisco as a world superpower just cracks me up.) May is one of the few people that should be able to reach Blackie status and escape debt, but she's the company president's daughter, which could have something to do with it. So if you aren't going to be a Blackie...why not just dig yourself into bottomless debt and stop going to work? Because if your debt outweighs your usefulness, you can be shipped off to a work camp. Believe me, you DON'T want to go to a work camp. So this is the backdrop for our story. Now May starts out being a little happy peon of the system, but I'm sure you can imagine that she doesn't necessarily end up there. I didn't always buy into May's motivations, but I really enjoyed learning about the world Gates created. I almost wish the latter half had included more fleshing out of the system and how others live in it than the completely removed world of the revolutionaries. I give it 4 out of 5 cross implants and hope that our televangelists have a little more moral fiber than this story's religious mogul.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Zero Sky.