Cheryl Gatling's Reviews > The Princess Diaries

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

Jun 19, 2012

Read in June, 2012

My younger daughter recently found this book in my older daughter's room, and asked to read it. My older daughter, who is away at college, said that yes, her sister could read her book, provided she put it back when she was finished. That says something. A girl who is practically grown up, and who should have long outgrown her princess phase, still counts The Princess Diaries as a cherished possession. She has given away bags full of other books she read and didn't consider worth keeping. Like everyone else, I saw the movie. The differences are that the book is set in New York and the movie in San Francisco, the book has the father, and in the movie the father has died. Mostly, in the movie the grandmother is Julie Andrews. She is formidable, but ultimately lovable. In the book the grandmother is scary, mean, and a little creepy, with her chain smoking and her tattooed eyeliner. Other than that, I thought the movie stayed quite faithful to the book. The other big difference is that in the book you get to hear Mia's voice narrating all the events. The thing I loved best of all was Mia's voice. She is funny, a little clueless, but trying hard, and intent on being herself. She begins the book afraid of confrontation, and ends it standing up to everyone who needs standing up to, all in a bright and funny way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Diaries.