Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Jun 19, 2012

bookshelves: own-a-dtb, 2012-favorites, made-me-cry, all-the-right-choices, arc-2012, favorites, just-another-book-crush, sci-fi, young-adult, random-house, reviewed-in-2012
Read from September 03 to December 02, 2012

Eva is an echo, a person weaved into existence to serve as some parents’ backup plan, in case something happens to their beloved daughter. Although reserved for the rich, the practice is not uncommon and Weavers make new echoes all the time. Eva has no life of her own; she must experience everything her Other, Amarra, does, so when Amarra gets a tattoo, Eva has to get one exactly like it even though she hates it, and when Amarra goes swimming in the middle of the winter, Eva has no choice but to do the same.

But the city is the place that shelters Amarra’s ghost. And yet being in it alone is one of the few places I can let the mask slip away and instead of walking in her shoes, it’s like we’re two girls, ghost and echo, walking side by side.

Even though it’s been two hundred years since the first echo was made, the public still considers them soulless. They are illegal in some countries, but even where they’re legal, they have to hide from the hunters. This makes Eva’s life even harder as she’s not allowed to leave the cottage she shares with her guardians or spend time with people her own age. Luckily, there is Sean, employed by the Weavers to teach her about normal everyday things, everything she can never experience herself, at least not unless her Other dies.

The romance between Eva and Sean was not some flashy, unbelievable, overnight thing. Developed over time and built on a substantial foundation, what Eva and Sean had wasn’t something I’m likely to forget. The times when Eva’s lack of social skill showed, especially in the way she handled things with Sean, were my favorite parts of the book because they made her seem realistic and very endearing. For the most part, Sean was a perfect hero, unwaveringly loyal no matter how hard the situation, but he wasn’t without flaws, and it was those tiny things, his weaknesses and quirks that made him stand out for me. Those are, after all, the things I’ll remember months from now when the color of his hair or the way in which he smiles completely disappear from my memory.

Mandanna’s writing is also flawless, not overly decorative and not too bare. She demonstrated the kid of surety one expects from a seasoned author, not someone as young and inexperienced as her.

So if I liked the writing, the story and the characters, why four starts instead of five? I think anyone who’s ever lost a loved one, not a distant cousin but someone extremely close, will struggle with the premise behind this book. As a parent, I can’t even imagine wanting a spare child if something happens to this one, and as a person who’s lost someone irreplaceable, I can’t even wrap my head around the whole thing. I struggled with the concept, but most of all, I struggled with the contradicting decisions and actions Eva’s familiars (Amarra’s parents) made. None of it made much sense to me.

‘You are important,’ he says. ‘Even if I can’t quite believe my daughter survived, like my wife does, you’ve still given us reason to hope for something more. For life beyond death. It’s why we wanted you in the first place. For that hope. And the absence of loss.’

However, I think I’ve made it clear that I really enjoyed this book. I had a difficult time accepting parts of it, and some of it just hit too close to home, but all things considered, The Lost Girl is a truly astonishing debut. I expected no less after reading my friend Keertana’s wonderful review. She was also kind enough to take us on a virtual tour of all the places Eva visited in Bangalore. It’s so interesting, make sure to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girl.

Keertana Aww, why conflicted? I'm so glad you enjoyed it though!(: Also, can I just say I love your bookshelf names?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I liked the book, but the idea behind it didn't sit well with me. I can't imagine people actually wanting this, really I can't.

Stephanie Parent I'm TOTALLY with you there. It just didn't make sense to me that even the most grief-stricken people would think this was a good idea...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I've lost someone extremely close to me once and I can't even imagine wanting to replace him. It would be a punishment, not a consolation. But the book itself was amazing.

Stephanie Parent Well, this is getting personal, but...when I was three I lost an infant sister, three months old. She didn't even have a personality yet, but...replace her with another baby? Even another baby who shared some of her DNA? It just rubbed me the wrong way. I also didn't understand Amarra's parents' ultimate decision...I know they were grieving, but couldn't they see that if Amarra had gotten to know Eva at all, she wouldn't have wanted that? Blindly following the misguided wishes of someone doesn't really seem like honoring their memory.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) To tell you the truth, a lot of the things concerning Amarra's parents didn't make sense to be, but I'd rather not write any spoilers.

Stephanie Parent Well, I really liked a lot of the writing so I would definitely read something different from this author...

message 8: by Keertana (last edited Dec 08, 2012 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keertana Amazing review, Maja! I think the reason I didn't have the same issues you had was because I'm much younger, more naive, and haven't lost anyone. I found the idea of an Echo and the fact that people would want them to be a little strange, but as the story progressed, I feel like I understood that desperation and hope to be able to re-create someone. Not to mention the Echoes are flawed because they share only a part of the other person's soul, so of they had been perfect, an Echo might have been something even I wanted. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, though, and Sean and Eva's romance was hands-down my favorite. I also loved the ending and while I wouldn't be upset to see a sequel released, I somehow like the ambiguity of this conclusion...it fit so perfectly in my eyes. :)

Stephanie Parent I definitely agree with everything you said! Perhaps the ideal "echoes" the weavers were hoping to create, an emptyy body that could absorb the soul of someone else, might be desirable, although even that I'm not so sure about. But the way it was in the book...just didn't ring true to me.

message 10: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Excellent review, Maja. The premise of this book does disturb me, too. As a parent, I can't imagine wanting this either. I remember Keertana's high praise and wonderful tour as well! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Keertana, it was the opposite with me. It didn't bother me so much at the beginning, but the more I read, the more unsettling it became.

I guess I just can't imagine anyone wanting something like that. I could be wrong.