Gwenie's Reviews > Murder in the Cathedral

Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: borrowed, plays, 2012-challenge, foreign-literature
Read on July 06, 2012

Good play. The first part helps a bit to understand the story by giving us some background (the exile of the archbishop, his return to England...). But, at the same time, if you don't know the life of Thomas Becket, or the period in which the story takes place, it was too little information to understand really some of the dialogues.
However, as I had little information about this archbishop, I'm interested to find how much of the play is true and how much was invented, so this play was really interesting, as it made me want to read more about the life of Thomas Becket. I might even read the play a second time once I have more information about his life.

Through the play, I had the impression, that it was a text which would be better played on a stage than just read in a book. Not all the plays have this effect on me (even if this kind of text is made to be staged), but Murder in the cathedral was hard to read at the beginning.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder in the Cathedral.