Marialyce's Reviews > The Shoemaker's Wife

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: june-2012
Read from June 19 to 22, 2012

I have to say I was very bored by what should have been a lovely story. I can't quite put my finger on why I felt this way, other than I thought the story to be long winded. The themes seemed to be revolving back and forth so that when the protagonists were not trying to come together, people were eating food. Not to say I do not love Italian food but the book seemed to be consumed (pardon the pun) with cooking and eating and drinking wine.

It was overly long and I thought the story could have been much better if it had been condensed and cut by about two hundred pages. It was the typical boy meets girl, boy loses girl, and boy finds girl again tale. There were moments of emotion, but hard as I tried, I just could not get close to the characters as they seemed a bit wooden. Was it the writing I wonder? There was a lot of "he said, she said as well as the proverbial talking to yourself in your head. It just did not come together well for me.

I do realize that this was the author's tale of family and if I did not know that fact, I would never have guessed as she herself seemed detached from the story.

This is an ok read, but not one I would consider extraordinary in any way. I do know it has garnered lots of four plus star ratings, but in the case of this reader, it was just bordering on mediocre.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shoemaker's Wife.

06/21/2012 page 225
06/21/2012 page 225
45.0% "It is an ok book, not found anything special about it yet."

Rebecca How are you liking this one?

Marialyce It is ok, not anything special though. I find it somewhat dull sorry to say.

message 3: by Judi/Judith (new) - added it

Judi/Judith Riddle Thanks for the review. Since you and I seem to have somewhat similar tastes I may not like it either. I almost didn't put it on my to-read list because I am not particularly interested in Italian history.

Marialyce Not much history, Judi. Maybe that would have made it interesting. A big disappointment with so many four ratings....