Anna's Reviews > Demon Hunting in the Deep South

Demon Hunting in the Deep South by Lexi George

Oct 12, 12

bookshelves: for-review, adult, fae-faeries, magic, paranormal-romance, read-2012
Read from July 07 to 10, 2012

2,5 stars

Review posted at Books to Brighten your Mood

Demon Hunting in the Deep South is one of those books I find it extremely hard to review from time to time. For different reasons in most cases, but difficult nonetheless. And it's so hard for my to rate and review this one because even though I knew that it was part of a series, I was under the impression that it could be read as a stand alone just as well. But that, was a mistake.

Let me explain. Demon Hunting in the Deep South, has a different set of characters from the first book in the Demon Hunting series BUT the same characters that are now the main couple, had a rather extended presence in the first book of the series, Demon Hunting in Dixie. And when I say extended, I mean that they had so much history, that I couldn't possibly keep up with their story. There were so many things that tied Evie and Ansgar together, so many things that happened between them in the first book that no matter how many explanations the author gave me, I always felt that there were some pieces missing.

And that feeling of loss extends to the world building and plot as well. Lexi George does an amazing job with the complexity of her world but not everything is explained in detail. Or in enough detail to be able to grasp exactly how everything works. Granted, some things are explained but there are many that are not making it difficult for me not only to understand how the world ticks but to evaluate the author's ability to present her world to her readers. I simply don't know if things are left unexplained or were explained in the first book.

For example, in Demon Hunting in the Deep South you will meet a diversity of paranormal creatures: demons, fairies, ghosts and lots of magic. There are so many different paranormal elements but they don't form a solid world I'm afraid... I can't see any connection between them. They are just thrown in the story, without so much of an explanation or reason for existence. Nothing. And as I said, I don't know if those explanations I was seeking were given on the first book of the series, or not at all. SO, you see my problem in making my mind about the world building and the writing style...

Apart from that, there's one thing I immensely enjoyed about this book though: the sarcastic tone and humour of the author. Lexi George simply has a voice that stands out and knows how to write a villain who you love to hate. And that is Meredith. She may not be the main villain but she's definitely not angel material. But I loved her to pieces even when she was a total bitch. Especially when she was one :)

As far as Evie and Ansgar are concerned, there where things I liked and disliked in both of them. In Evie I liked how she developed throughout the novel and how loyal she was, but she was far too shy for my taste and honestly, the part where she gets arrested and her main concern is that she's commando, made me roll my eyes more than once.

Ansgar on the other hand, is your typical, drool-worthy alpha male, which is always a plus, I loved his brutality and how he fought his feelings for Evie, but I thought that he approached her far too easily and quickly for a man that did everything he could for Evie to forget all about him. He kind of contradicted himself.

The sex scenes, were fairly good written and sexy and you could see the chemistry between Evie and Ansgar, but again due to their history form the first book, the make out scenes came far too quickly before I could connect with the characters, and that is something I don't usually like. That, and reading sentences like "touche me there" or "touch her houhah" in the middle of a sexy scene that completely turned me off.

All in all, Demon Hunting in the Deep South is a book I had some problems with, problems that I wouldn't probably have if I had read the first book in the series. As it is, my review and rating is based solely without any previous knowledge to Lexi George's world and I really want you to take that into consideration. To fans of this series, Demon Hunting in the Deep South is a must. To the rest, take my advice and read those books in order. Lexi George's sense of humour is worth it! That, and I want you to meet Meredith :P
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Hunting in the Deep South.

07/09/2012 page 135