Jasprit's Reviews > Fall For You

Fall For You by Cecilia Gray

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, arc-galley
Read on June 19, 2012

Modern retellings tend to be the latest trend around these days. I’m always a little anxious about whether it will ruin my love for the original book. Pride and Prejudice is an all time favourite classic of mine. So when I saw Cecelia Gray was proposing an entire Jane Austen academy series re-telling my interest was piqued, I was a little worried too, what if I didn’t love it? What if it tarnished the feelings I associated with Jane Austen classic? I decided to risk it.

Lizzie has been attending the elite Jane Austen academy; it’s a school which has been owned by a family for generations and is renowned for its prestigiousness. It’s also Lizzie’s one way shot to Georgetown. But then new owners take over and place a obnoxious head mistress in charge who wants to ruin everything the Jane Austin academy represented and under the latest “new improvements” are for the first time allowing boys to enrol there. Lizzie is absolutely livid, first they’re allowing boys in, but obnoxious stuck up ones like Dante?

Fall for You was a fun easy read which I devoured in one sitting. Once I’d entered the Jane Austen academy I immediately formed a strong bond with the characters. I enjoyed how the constant crossed wires led to comical clashes between characters, how Lizzie continually tries to push for an us against them divide. I also enjoyed the banter between the groups, it really made The Jane Austen academy feel like a fun place to be around.

Lizzie Egmont just like Lizzie Bennett was brash, hot headed and even though she occasionally followed the rules, she would slightly manipulate them to her benefit. She was a hugely animated character, with all these big and beautiful ideas to save the school. But she was also hugely naive, she was quick to make assumptions about other characters and stick to them stubbornly. I guess in this way she reminded me of Lizzie Bennett, but in comparison she didn’t have a notch on her.

Dante was a whole new kettle of fish; I feel that we weren’t able to see much of his character as I’d hoped, but the side we did get to see of him I enjoyed. He was aloof, distant, brooding and secretive. I would have loved to be inside his head just to know what the heck he was thinking all the time. I liked his tender side we were able to see too, I think maybe because I hold Mr Darcy in such high respects that I thought Dante wouldn’t be able to compare to him. And I guess he didn’t. But I liked watching his character development through the story.

At times I completely forgot that I was reading a re-telling of Pride and Prejudice as the story did take on a completely different path, but I liked the twists and turns which were thrown our way.

Overall Fall for You was a funny sweet modern retelling of Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. As I enjoyed this quite a lot, I’m quite tempted to try the rest of the series, to see Gray’s take on the rest of Austen’s books.

This review and more can be found on The Readers Den

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall For You.

message 1: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah I love Pride and Prejudice too, so I always have the same worries you did whenever I see something like this. Good to see you enjoyed it overall! It's a shame Lizzie and Dante still didn't really compare to the original characters, but let's be fair - did they have a hope of being as good (especially Mr Darcy ;))? Brilliant review, J! :)

Jasprit Hahhah I know right? No one could beat Mr. Darcy! Thanks Aa'Ishah! :)

Jasprit thanks Sam, it was a super quick read and quite a lot of fun! :)

message 4: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice I think I've read two re-tellings of Pride and Prejudice already and after reading your review I think I wanted to read one more! LOL! This does sound so fun, Jasprit! Even though I know how the overall of the story would turn out I want to know what new things the author has to offer in this new re-telling! Lovely review, Jasprit! :)

Jasprit Thanks Eunice, I know I couldn't help myself either, parts are predictable, but still fun! :)

message 6: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ I guess it's hard to hold a candle to Mr. Darcy! I love Pride and Prejudice too, so I can see why you'd be apprehensive to read this. It sounds like a really cute read and you might forget it's even a re-telling. Btw, I love the phrase "whole new kettle of fish." You don't hear it too often. Wonderful review, Jasprit. :)

Jasprit Thanks Rachel! I know no one could ever top Mr. Darcy, after reading this I actually felt like watching the adaptation again the one with Matthew Macfayden I think that's my favourite! :)

message 8: by Aa'Ishah (last edited Jul 17, 2012 03:42AM) (new)

Aa'Ishah Oh my gosh, that's my favourite too! :D I need to watch it again sometime soon. I guess it's a good thing we break up this week...;)

Jasprit I have it on dvd, my sister doesn't understand my need to watch it again and again :) Yay for finishing school! You can read and watch this film as much as you like! ;)

message 10: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah It's sad there are people out there who can't understand the allure of the classics. ;) And you just have to love the Matthew Macfadyen version. :D I know! I want to go through all the classics I have this summer. Which is basically everything Austen and Bronte. ;)